Filling

Decorating By nikkisbc Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm by sweettoothmom1

nikkisbc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkisbc Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all, I was wondering if you may know of other options for a filling for a regular yellow cake? I'm getting ready to start a cake for a birthday and I'd like to do something else rather than frosting. I've always wanted to try some kind of fruit filling, maybe a jelly filling, but I've never done anything else so I'm not sure what kind of options there are. Any suggestions, with instructions would be great! Thank you all so much! Nikki

9 replies
ChefAngie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAngie Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 10

You can use:
Jam or jelly
Butter cream icing flavored with fruits (use baby food-already processed and add a pinch of salt and half teaspoon vanilla)
Pudding can be used ( cake needs to be refrigerated)
Pastry cream (cake needs to be refrigerated)
Whipped Cream (cake needs to be refrigerated)
Hope this helps!!
Happy Baking and Decorating,
Chef Angie

Neelas_wife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neelas_wife Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 10

Usually when I am in a hurry - I mix some jelly with my frosting and fill my cakesicon_smile.gif Have fun.....

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 10

The jam and jelly work really well and taste great. The pudding turned out to be too messy, but I probably did something wrong.....have fun!

nikkisbc Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 10

I was thinking of using raspberry jelly but didn't know if I should just lay it on right out of the jar after making a barrier around the edge, or if there was some secret to it. After reading the posts though, I think my husband may like the pudding filling too. I'll have to go back through forum posts and see if I can find a discussion with instructions for that too. Thanks for the ideas! Nikki

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 10

i am making a yellow cake soon and have been going thru my mind for fillings...ive come up with either chocolate chocolate chip mousse or strawberry puree and whipped cheesecake.

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 10

I'd suggest using perserves instead of jelly. Personally I find jelly to be a bit liquidy since perserves are thicker it helps, plus i like that perserves had pieces of the actual fruit inside. That's just me though.

nikkisbc Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 10

you're right, i read several posts this morning about the fillings and they all said preserves rather than jelly so i should use that. i found a great recipe for bavarian creme that sounds pretty easy to do too though. i'll have to see which one my husband would prefer.

crystalina, the strawberry puree and whipped cheesecake filling sounds heavenly! how in the world would you do that though?

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:32pm
post #9 of 10

cheesecake filling is 2 pkgs. cheesecake pudding mix, 2 lb. carton liquid frostin pride, 16 oz. neufchatel cheese (or mascarpone, or cream cheese), and whatever flavoring you want, i.e. vanilla, etc....this makes quite a bit so you could definitely half it. this is from a popular thread in the forum called gourmet cake flavors.

for the strawberry puree i would mix sliced fresh strawberries (they're in season now!) with sugar, a little lemon juice, corn starch, in a saucepan, heat it up till thick, mash it slighlty but not too much, i like mine kind of chunky.

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:21pm
post #10 of 10

ive heard that if u use a pudding or soft center, that you need to first spread a thin layer of buttercream so it won't soak through the layer. is this so? when would this be necessary?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%