How Do I Get Sharp Edges On A Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By Doughnut Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 4:22am by Doughnut

Doughnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doughnut Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 12

Hey Everyone!

When I cover a cake a with fondant, the edges always come out rounded and there is a hump on top. Now, before I cover it, the top of the cake is cut to levle it off and the bottom is level too.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong when covering my cakes?

11 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #2 of 12

it tends to just be the way that fondant goes, the weight of it means it doesnt really do corners! all you can do it make sure your cake is cut square, you bc is finished square, and you dont mush the fondant too much when you smooth it.
xx

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 12

yes, the fondant weighs it down so the corners are not crisp. What I do is take the thumb and forefinger and very gently actually pinch where I want the corners to be, like the perimeter of a round cake and the four sides and top of a square cake to make the edges look crisper. Hope this is helpful.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:43am
post #4 of 12

Make sure, too, that your icing underneath is perfectly level with sharp corners...and that will help your fondant be more flat and sharp, although the only way to get perfectly boxy corners is to dry panels ahead for a "box".

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 12

I'm not sure what the username is. I believe it's adatay. She uses ganche under fondant and her cakes are fantastically sharp. SUPER SHARP.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #6 of 12

I personally think that part of the beauty of a fondant cake is the rounded edges.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:16am
post #7 of 12

Doughnut, is it possible that you have too much filling in the very middle of your cake layers? If so, that might be why you have a "bump" in the middle of the top of the cake after covering it with fondant. That used to happen to me when I first started decorating JMO icon_smile.gif

FionaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FionaB Posted 27 May 2009 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 12

I found that by allowing the butter cream to set hard it really helps. Also using smoothers at rights angle will sharpen the edges check out youtube for demos.

mom2owen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2owen1 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:19am
post #9 of 12

I often get a big pocket of air trapped under the fondant on the top of the cake. This happens when I am trying to go to fast when covering the cakes.

Could this be the hump you are talking about?

Doughnut Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:21am
post #10 of 12

Thanks all for the reply. I may be putting too much filling in the cake causing a hump in the middle. I will try the pinching on the perimeter.

sugardaisycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardaisycakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 11:06pm
post #11 of 12

I saw a tutorial one time where they used two fondant smoothers at the same time one along the side of the cake and one on top. The edges of the smoothers touched and made the sharpest edges Ive seen on fondant.
Hopefully that helps icon_smile.gif

Doughnut Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:22am
post #12 of 12

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I am still working on my edges. I'll get them right one day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%