How Long Is Fresh Fruit Filling Good

Decorating By cocoachanel Updated 27 May 2009 , 1:29am by cylstrial

cocoachanel Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 5

If i have a wedding cake due on Sat. They will cut it Sat eve. Can i fill the cake with fresh cut stawberries on Thursday or will they be mushy and nasty by then?

4 replies
cakes22 Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 5

Is it just strawberries as filling or are they mixed with something (whipped cream or b/c).

I would think that the moisture from the strawberries (if not mixed with anything) would make the cake mushy and the strawberries themselves wouldn't last. Normally strawberries have a very short shelf live.

I found this on yahoo.answers:

"How long strawberries remain fresh depends how they were handled post-harvest. Strawberries are are short shelf life items and will never be as fresh as the day you bought them. Use them as quickly as possible. Do not expect them to last more than three days."

Neelas_wife Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 5

I agree with cakes 22. One time my strawberries my cake was complety ruined with the water from shed from the strawberries....Pls use something else for your filling if possible. Good Luck!

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 5

Yeah I would only make it as early as the day before the event. Strawberries dont last in cakes very long. They get wilty and slimy kind of. After its assembled..3 days max before it hits the garbage

cylstrial Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 5

Maybe you could order a strawberry sleeve fillings from Country Kitchen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%