What Happened?

Decorating By pugmama1 Updated 27 May 2009 , 3:54pm by cakes22

pugmama1 Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 12

I was making a birthday cake this past weekend and wanted to try something different for my buttercream. I use butter and sweetex normally with water. This time I wanted to try a flavored powder coffee creamer mixed with water to see if I likd the taste. Well, it tasted great but the texture came out awful - like what you get when you use the new Crisco. It was sticky and wouldn't smooth well. What could have happened and do you have any ideas for using different flavors in buttercream?

11 replies
caincakemaker Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 12

ooh sorry, I have never used the coffee creamer but here is a bump for ya!

cakes22 Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 12

I'm no expert but maybe the prob was with the "powdered" coffee creamer. I have used liquid coffee creamer and have never had a problem. Maybe the water didn't dissolve the powder enough icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif . That would be my guess.

PinkZiab Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 12

I've never used coffee creamer (powdered or otherwise) in my buttercream (or even in my coffee for that matter lol), so I can't tell you what went wrong, but as far as flavoring buttercream, the sky is the limit! Extracts, oils, compounds, liqueurs, nut pastes, jams/jellies/preserves, fresh fruit purees, melted cooled chocolates... use your imagination!

Misdawn Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 12

You have to 1) use milk instead of water when using powdered creamer in your buttercream, and 2) heat the milk in the microwave and dissolve the creamer in it first for about 3 or 4 minutes before mixing into the buttercream. This should get rid of any grainy/ texture issues.

pugmama1 Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:37am
post #6 of 12

Thanks for responding. I thought I had dissolved the powder enough in hot water before I added it. I might just have to bake some cupcakes or something and see what happens when I dissolve it in hot milk. I will check out the liquid creamers- any recommendations?- we don't drink coffee here so it is foreign territory to me.

Misdawn Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:28am
post #7 of 12

I love the creme brulee flavor by coffee mate

SpringFlour Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:50am
post #8 of 12

I *always* use water with my powdered creamer. I heat up the water for a minute or so in the microwave, then add the creamer and mix until dissolved. I let it cool a little before adding it to the icing. I've never had a problem with it. Could there have been another issue besides the creamer? Maybe an extra humid day or something?

mgigglin Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:14am
post #9 of 12

I use the liquid coffee creamers in my BC and in my WASC and love how it turns out!

Kim

solascakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:35am
post #10 of 12

If you are using coffee creamers,i think the water you mix in has to be hot,or you might have problems.

Misdawn Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #11 of 12

I don't think the issue was that the OP used water so much as she didn't dissolve the creamer powder in warm liquid first. I assume warm water would work just as well as warm milk.

cakes22 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:54pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugmama1

any recommendations?- we don't drink coffee here so it is foreign territory to me.

French Vanilla and Irish Cream are yummy. So is Hazelnut.....

mmmm, coffee........ icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%