Gumpaste Or 50/50 Drying Time...?

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 26 May 2009 , 10:42pm by Win

cupcakeco Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I'm just wondering what is the ballpark drying time of either straight gumpaste or a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix? I just recieved a request from a friend, bicycle themed, and I want to incorporate one of those novelty bicycle license plates (the ones that come personalized to put on a bike)...

So the object would be largely thin and flat. Any ideas as to how long? The cake has to be done for Friday morning, so I want to be sure I have enough time..?

Thanks!

5 replies
cupcakeco Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 6

PS.. I searched and searched on Google.. and found nothing! I must be doing something wrong icon_redface.gif

cherrycakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 6

I don't know if this helps but I made a gumpaste bridge for a train cake so the gumpaste was molded over the side of the pan for about 8 hours and then I removed it so the underside could dry. It was rock hard in about 16 hours. The thinner the object is the faster it dries and also turn it over during the drying time to help it dry better.

cupcakeco Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 6

Helps very much-- Thank you!!! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 6

I made some palm tree leaves. They were cut about 1am, and put on formers under a ceiling fan over night. They were dry enough to handle and work with in 12 hours.

How long it dries depends on the size and the weather. If it is humid it will take longer.

I'd go ahead and start it now, just to make sure, but you should be fine as long as it is drying by Thursday.

Win Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 6

On something like a license plate, I'd go straight gumpaste. You want it fairly stable --then it should be fully dry for you to work with in an overnight type situation. I only use the 50/50 mixture when I'm working with figures for the flexibility I need in molding arms, etc. If you use 50/50 on something like this, it will take longer for the center to become fully dried out which is important if you are using something like a food color pen to paint as the tip could then leave indents on the surface.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%