Best Nonstick Mat For Rolled Fondant

Decorating By kimmisue2009 Updated 13 Sep 2012 , 9:45am by ApplegumPam

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 8:18pm
post #31 of 33

Rae, I found I had the exact opposite issue. I wanted to love The Mat, I wanted to REALLY love it. I was SO excited when it arrived. It was difficult to roll fondant on before it was fully seasoned, then once it was.... I found rolling it back up to store was so time consuming. I also felt it never really got clean. It got so warped and wrinkled that I now just have it taking up space in the back of my supply closest (I really should just throw it away). Meanwhile, my blue mat cleans easily (other than the size) and rolls up with no trouble. It is thick enough that it doesn't warp.

It's amazing how what one decorator loves another can't get to work at all. That's the great thing about having different options on the market. I always teach my students the techniques that work for me, but explain a few others, letting them know that the "right way" to do something is what works for you (as long as its food safe) icon_smile.gif. Though, it would be much simpler if we could know for sure what works before buying.

sugarbabybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabybakes Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 6:49am
post #32 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 282513

My question is this, I had the wilton mat to roll on and of course I wasn't thinking but I cut my fondant on it after I rolled it out. I put cut marks on the mat. Can you cut on the vinyl mat? I do this at home and don't have a lot of surface to work with. Hope this makes sense, my allergies are killing me and I can't put my thoughts together!!lol

I had similar problems until I switched to a cutter with a plastic wheel - much gentler on the vinyl.

- Sugar Baby Bakes @ sugarbabybakes.blogsppot.com

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 9:45am
post #33 of 33

Am I th ONLY person who doesn't use a mat to roll my fondant on ?

I just use my benchtop - laminate - either sprayed with Sprink (a canola based spray) or a light dusting of cornflour?

Never had an issue icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%