Fondant On Cookies

Baking By TSG177 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm by luv2bake6

TSG177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSG177 Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure there is a post about this but I just couldn't find it. I am going to make the NFSC recipe and put fondant on top. Does anyone know how thick to roll the fondant and how do I get the fondant to stick to the cookie and once it sticks does it come off easy or does it stay on good. I am making cupcakes for my daughter's birthday and then I am going to make a magic mirror and put that on top of the cupcakes so I thought I would make the sugar cookie with fondant for the magic mirror and then put it on top of the frosted cupcake. SHe is having a princess theme. Any suggestions or maybe even a completely different idea. I am open to all. Thanks so much.

Sandy

10 replies
CAKEARTIST Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEARTIST Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:38pm
post #2 of 11

I usually use light corn syrup to adhere the fondant to the cookie.

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 11

I think your idea is cute!! I use corn syrup too - or you can just put them straight onto the cookie while they are still warm - and they will stick all by themselves! I usually roll it out to about 1/8 - 1/4 in ..
HTH!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 11

Hi, I also roll my fondant about 1/8 thickness. And I use clear piping gel to stick them on the cookies. icon_smile.gif

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 11

Hi Sandy. Actually the trick to putting fondant on cookies (either MMF or regular) is to have the cutouts of fondant ready to be placed on the cookies a minute or two right out of the oven. The heat will help the fondant adhere quite nicely onto the cookies with no need for any type of "adhesive".

I make the fondant decos ahead of time and wrap them in plastic and place them on a cookie sheet in the fridge. as sson as the cookies come out I place them on the cookie and voila I'm done decorating in no time flat. Hope that helps!

Oh, I usually roll it out to about 1/8" thick.

good Luck!

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 11

I roll my fondant 1/8 inch thick and then I use a very thin layer of BC. I have never had a problem with the fondant slipping off and it tastes good also.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 11

I also use corn syrup and it gives it an added sweetness.

I had never thought of putting it on right out of the oven. I probably would have been afraid it would melt of something.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 11

I put the fondant on straight out of the oven. If you're making a delicate shape, you can leave the fondant pieces on the counter on a sheet of waxed paper, and they'll stiffen up enough that you can pick them up without them stretching or losing their shape, but the heat of the cookie will soften them enough to stick them to the cookie.

They seem to stick together better that way than they did when I used corn syrup. Also, the heat melts the fondant just enough that you can smooth the edges with your fingers, in case the cookie has spread and is now a bit bigger than the fondant piece.

TSG177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TSG177 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will try putting the fondant on while they are still a touch warm. If that doesn't work I will try the corn syrup. Thanks for all the help.

Sandy

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:48am
post #10 of 11

I use a a mixture of powder sugar and water... works like a charm thumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 11

I'd love to see pictures of your cupcakes when they are done!! It's a great idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%