Need Timeline Help On Cake To Maintain Freshness....

Decorating By Malakin Updated 26 May 2009 , 3:22pm by Malakin

Malakin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

I have to do a wedding cake for a friend and she needs this on Saturday.
The cake will be WASC, with Sugarshack's BC icing and Michelle Foster's Fondant.
I usually bake on Thursday, frost and apply fondant on Friday and add decorations on Saturday am, but, due to time constraints and having to travel I need to do this sooner.
So, my question is, how early ahead of time can I apply the BC and fondant and still have the cake fresh at room temp for Saturday afternoon at approx. 3 pm??? I appreciate any and all suggestions! TIA

4 replies
 shelbur10  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 5

Last week I made a cake for my mom to take out of town. I baked Monday, decorated Tuesday with BC, then boxed & wrapped the box with plastic wrap. I'm told it was still fresh & delicious on Saturday. The plastic wrap may have been unnecessary, as the BC seals the cake.

MikeRowesHunny  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 5

Fondant, especially, will keep the cake fresh & tasty for up to a week with no problems.

Win  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 5

I'm reading this on Tuesday at 11:00 am. I'd say you start any time especially since it's ideal to crumb coat and allow the cake to settle overnight so there are no bulges, etc. I don't even put mine in the fridge to preserve as long as I have a cool room in which to store. Last year, I made a cake for a friend who needed to travel with it on a Thursday for a Saturday wedding shower... I started the cake on that Tuesday, had it ready for her on Thursday, and they served it on Saturday to rave reviews!

Malakin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much. It's really important thing for me that it be fresh Saturday. So I am going to BC Wednesday, Fondant Thursday, decorate Friday and eat Saturday!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%