Need Timeline Help On Cake To Maintain Freshness....

Decorating By Malakin Updated 26 May 2009 , 3:22pm by Malakin

Malakin Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

I have to do a wedding cake for a friend and she needs this on Saturday.
The cake will be WASC, with Sugarshack's BC icing and Michelle Foster's Fondant.
I usually bake on Thursday, frost and apply fondant on Friday and add decorations on Saturday am, but, due to time constraints and having to travel I need to do this sooner.
So, my question is, how early ahead of time can I apply the BC and fondant and still have the cake fresh at room temp for Saturday afternoon at approx. 3 pm??? I appreciate any and all suggestions! TIA

4 replies
shelbur10 Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 5

Last week I made a cake for my mom to take out of town. I baked Monday, decorated Tuesday with BC, then boxed & wrapped the box with plastic wrap. I'm told it was still fresh & delicious on Saturday. The plastic wrap may have been unnecessary, as the BC seals the cake.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 5

Fondant, especially, will keep the cake fresh & tasty for up to a week with no problems.

Win Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 5

I'm reading this on Tuesday at 11:00 am. I'd say you start any time especially since it's ideal to crumb coat and allow the cake to settle overnight so there are no bulges, etc. I don't even put mine in the fridge to preserve as long as I have a cool room in which to store. Last year, I made a cake for a friend who needed to travel with it on a Thursday for a Saturday wedding shower... I started the cake on that Tuesday, had it ready for her on Thursday, and they served it on Saturday to rave reviews!

Malakin Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much. It's really important thing for me that it be fresh Saturday. So I am going to BC Wednesday, Fondant Thursday, decorate Friday and eat Saturday!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%