Sour Cream V Buttermilk

Decorating By sweet_teeth Updated 26 May 2009 , 2:25pm by all4cake

sweet_teeth Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 3

Ok here is my question..

How many of you sub sour cream for buttermilk? My favorite chocolate cake (double chocolate layer cake) calls for buttercream. Full-fat buttercream is impossible for me to find, but Giant used to carry low-fat so I always used that. Recently they stopped selling it so I started using sour cream..

I thought the results would be the same but it makes the cake completely different. I know subbing a key ingredient will cause changes.. But I didn't think it would be as different as it seems to be as I thought sour cream was an OK sub for buttermilk.

When I bake the cake now, it rises MUCH better (never sinks in the center), and it's a bit fluffier (less fudgy.. But I rather the fudgyness from using buttermilk). The problem is that it kinda gets a firm crust on the top so it's near impossible for me to tell when it's done.. Lol.

Anyway, have any of y'all subbed sour cream w/ buttermilk and found such a difference in your recipe? Do you think it's because the sour cream has a higher fat content?

I know there is powdered buttermilk which I'll test out tonight when I rebake my cake.. But I really am more interested in the differences of these two ingredients. Maybe I need to water down the sour cream...?

2 replies
crazycaker Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 3

I use about 40% milk (whole) and 60% sour cream. I mix them together in a blender, and then just measure what I need.

I did this when most of the old-fashioned recipes I liked called for full-fat buttermilk, and I can only find low-fat buttermilk now.

Hope this helps.

all4cake Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 3

I subbed sc for bm ( but I don't remember the results. I was out of regular milk at that time otherwise I would've used the 1 tblsp vinegar/lemon juice and filled to 1 cup with milk substitution for the bm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%