Customer Wants Funky Chocolate Cake Flavor Wth?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 27 May 2009 , 7:38am by sayhellojana

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 19

Does anyone have a recipe I can use for a doctored chocolate cake mix I can make a "Funky" flavor with? icon_rolleyes.gif

I have a 21 yr old customer who wants this..I just usually make chocolate fudge Betty Crocker mix...I have a bottle of Irish Cream flavoring.....I don't know..I'm not going out to buy anything either...

any thoughts?

Laurel icon_wink.gif

18 replies
lynda-bob Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 19

Hmmm icon_rolleyes.gif Well, this isn't really funky, but I make a "mexican chocolate" cake just by adding cinnamon to the chocolate mix.

GayeG Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 19

Hmmmm How about banana's or strawberry? Both goes well with Chocolate .. course I dunno how "funky" that is ... There's a recipe in the gourmet thread for the Funky Monkey - I believe its banana/chocolate ..
Good luck tho ~ maybe others will have a "funkier" idea for you!

Kitagrl Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 19

I dunno but I just throw whatever flavorings in until it tastes good...the more different types of flavorings the better (like for hazelnut, I throw in the flavoring and crushed nuts).

If you are throwing in Irish cream then...hmmm....some creamer too instead of milk, and maybe even fold in some marshmallow cream???? (Not sure how that would work). Maybe a tad coffee flavor too.

Enjoy the experiment! Someone taught me once you can add quite a bit of flavoring (even liquid like juice) to a recipe without really messing it up, at the most just making it extra moist.

crazygravy Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 19

What about chocolate cherry (i've used chocolate cherry dr. pepper), chocolate and orange (can use orange liquor or sunkist), then there's always coffee flavors or hot chocolate.

sweet_teeth Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 19

Maybe she just doesn't want the typical vanilla or chocolate buttercream as the filling.

How about a peanut butter filling? Or peanut butter swirled chocolate cake? Yum!!

-Tubbs Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 19

What about chocolate-chili? You add just enough chili to make the chocolate cake a bit spiky. That's pretty funky and might go down well with the 'young crowd'!! Cherries and ganache would be delicious with that.

3GCakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

What about chocolate-chili? You add just enough chili to make the chocolate cake a bit spiky. That's pretty funky and might go down well with the 'young crowd'!! Cherries and ganache would be delicious with that.

I was about to suggest Chocolate/Jalapeno, but thought I'd get slammed. I totally agree with sweet/spicy vibe.

Maybe chop up a few, make sure no seeds.

I really like to eat things that are sweet and hot.

melhoneybee Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynda-bob

Hmmm icon_rolleyes.gif Well, this isn't really funky, but I make a "mexican chocolate" cake just by adding cinnamon to the chocolate mix.

I also have a Mexican chocolate, it is scratch, but it doesn't just include cinnamon, it has a bit of ancho chili powder in it and then I also put some cinnamon in my dark chocolate fudge frosting to go with it. It has a nice kick!

Let's see...you could also do maybe a chocolate with mint buttercream,

a cookies n cream type thing,

or maybe a mocha cake with either vanilla or chocolate and espresso buttercream...

how about chocolate almond cake and coconut, like an almond joy bar...

You could also throw some chocolate chips into the batter and then pair it with a marshmallow buttercream with some graham crumbs stirred in for a s'mores cake.

another idea would be to do a turtle type cake with some pecans baked in and then topped with salted caramel buttercream.

Chocolate cake and fresh orange buttercream would pair well!

If those aren't off the wall enough, how about this?

http://www.jihadwatch.org/archives/019951.php icon_eek.gif

yamber82 Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 19

omg!!! that';s discusting, lol

i was making a dump cake once with a choc cake mix, can of crushed pineapple and cherry pie filling and it was actually really freakin good.

this is also really funny, (i'm all about trying new recipes) i found a recipe for fudge made out of pinto beans, lol. so i made some and shared it with all hubby's work buddies and some friends but didn't tell them waht it was. they all thought it was great ...until i told them and then of course it suddenly started tasting like beans, lol. that was halarious and definately funky

eatdessert1st Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 19

the chocolate stout cake on epicurious has gotten great reviews:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Chocolate-Stout-Cake-107105
Chipotle chocolate cake:
http://www.whatwereeating.com/recipes/spicy-chipotle-chocolate-cake/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate Chipotle Cake
Ruben Ortega (Backstreet Cafe)
Serves 8-10

The chipotle puree:
1 7-ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo (see Note)
The cake:
6 eggs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 pound semisweet chocolate, cut into pieces
1/2 pound unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 and 1/2 tablespoons chipotle puree

For the chipotle puree: Drain the can of chipotle peppers and rinse the peppers under running water. Cut the peppers in half and remove and discard the seeds. Place peppers in a blender along with 3 tablespoons of water and puree until mostly smooth. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350.
In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring an inch or two of water to a light simmer. In a large stainless steel bowl, combine eggs and sugar and set the bowl over the pot.
Reduce the heat to low and whisk the egg and sugar mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is warm to the touch, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer the egg mixture into the bowl of an electric mixer and whip until thick and pale, about 4-5 minutes.
In a separate large stainless steel bowl, add the chocolate and butter and set over the pot with simmering water once again. Stir until chocolate and butter are melted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a small bowl, add the heavy cream and whip until soft peaks form. Add the chipotle puree and mix well.
With the mixer on low, slowly add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture just until combined. Using a spatula, fold in the whipped cream.
Scrape the batter into an 8-inch cake pan or individual 5- to 6-ounce ramekins. Set the cake pan in a larger roasting pan with sides that are as high as the cake pan. Place the roasting pan on the middle rack of the oven. Fill the roasting pan with enough warm water to reach halfway up the side of the cake pan. Bake until slightly firm, about 25-30 minutes for ramekins, 50 minutes to 1 hour for an 8-inch cake. Carefully remove cake pan from water bath and transfer to a rack to cool.

Also, I watched a video on youtube where the chef infused the choc. ganache w/ some sort of pepper (sorry, can't remember which one...maybe chipotle?) to give it a spicy sweet taste. You could use your reg. choc. cake recipe and then use the spicy ganache as a filling and frosting. here's a recipe I found on the net:

Whipped Spiced Ganache
Makes enough to fill a 9" 2 layer cake, with some left over.
MY NOTE: MAKE SURE THE CAKES ARE REALLY, TRULY, ALL-THE-WAY COOL BEFORE YOU FILL THEM.

8 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used 70% Scharffenberger.)
2 liquid cups heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1.25 tsp ancho chile powder
1.25 tsp chipotle chile powder
1.25 tsp cinnamon

Notes: This is Bernabaum's whipped chocolate ganache recipe - I just added the spices. I buy my chile powders at my local farmer's market from Tierra. Their peppers are fantastic, and very fresh. You may need to adjust to taste for your locally supplied products. If you're not in the Bay Area, you can order the chipotle online.

Mix your ancho and chipotle powder together, and put it aside in a small bowl.

Break the choclate into pieces and process in a food processer until very fine.

Heat the cream to the boiling point, and with the motor running, pour it through the feed tube in a steady stream. Process a few seconds until smooth.

Transfer mixture to a large bowl of an electric mixer. and refrigerate until cold, stirring once or twice. Don't let it get too cold, or it will be too stiff to incorporate air.

Add the vanilla and cinnamon. Add a quarter of your spice mix, and taste on the end of a spoon. Keep adding you chile mix until you get a heat level you like - I stopped when I could catch the edge of the flavor as I tasted the chocolate, and then figured out what the flavor was as a hint of warmth developed on the back of my throat.

Beat the mixture just until very soft peaks form when the beater is raised. It will continue to thicken after a few minutes at room temperature.

If the mixture gets overbeaten and grainy, it can be restored by remelting, chilling, and rebeating.

Kiddiekakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 19

Thanks Everyone...some great ideas and recipes!!!

kakeladi Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #13 of 19

Make the usual choco cake adding 1/2 cup of mash beets (put through food processor)
No one has mentioned the favorite Choco Tomato Spice recipeicon_smile.gif
Choco Prune cake.....see above suggestion w/beets - same idea
Lettuce cake.......similar to a Choco Zucchini recipe using lettuce instead of zucchini

cakes22 Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:16pm
post #14 of 19

I guess I am a plain-jane type of girl, cause beets and chocolate??? Yikes!

The cinnamon one sounds good, and I have added chocolate to my chili so that would be alright.

I would think any type of fruit would work (think chocolate fondue).

And beer & chocolate..........what more could you ask for! thumbs_up.gif

3GCakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Make the usual choco cake adding 1/2 cup of mash beets (put through food processor)
No one has mentioned the favorite Choco Tomato Spice recipeicon_smile.gif
Choco Prune cake.....see above suggestion w/beets - same idea
Lettuce cake.......similar to a Choco Zucchini recipe using lettuce instead of zucchini

I will have to look up the choco tomato spice recipe. Or any cake with tomato. I have 15 tomato plants outside!

chilz822 Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:02am
post #16 of 19

I love those chocolate covered pretzels and I love salty with sweet (always dip my fries in my milkshake!)... how about chocolate with white chocolate filling and crushed pretzels? mmmm... I might just try that myself!

G_Cakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:10am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

I love those chocolate covered pretzels and I love salty with sweet (always dip my fries in my milkshake!)... how about chocolate with white chocolate filling and crushed pretzels? mmmm... I might just try that myself!

Now that sounds yummy to me...if it works out dont forget to post the recipe and a pic!

playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:35am
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupcakenameddesire

I also have a Mexican chocolate, it is scratch, but it doesn't just include cinnamon, it has a bit of ancho chili powder in it and then I also put some cinnamon in my dark chocolate fudge frosting to go with it. It has a nice kick!

Get yourself some ground pasilla and use that instead. It's the same rating on the scoville heat scale, but it has a more pronounced flavor.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sayhellojana Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:38am
post #19 of 19

I LOVE the chocolate pretzel cake idea.
What combining a few ideas.
Mexican chocolate cake filled with a mousse made from pastry cream or bettercreme with melted mexican drinking chocolate added (I think the brand is Ichabara? Abarra? Nestle has one called Abuela) all made with coconut milk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%