Tacky Fondant

Decorating By JNSugarRush Updated 26 May 2009 , 1:09pm by GayeG

JNSugarRush Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 5

all of my fondant work is self taught and I seem to run in to the problem of my fondant becoming tacky.
first I build my cakes and then put them in the freezer to set up
then I trim and coat the cakes with buttercream and put back into freezer to set up again (sometimes overnight)
Next I'll roll out my fondant, take cake from freezer and put the fondant on the cake. If I am decorating a tiered cake I will leave each teir out and stack as they are coated.
More often than not by the time I am ready to begin decorating the fondanted cakes the fondant starts to become tacky and sometimes really tacky almost weepy.
my guess is that it is from the cakes coming to temp while they sit out and create condensation

will anyone share their order of operations with me so I can try to reduce this issue?

Thanks so much!!

4 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 5

i had the same problem recently and I believe it was because this was the 1st time I put fondant on an extremely cold cake. Normally, I am putting the fondant on a room tempature cake and have never had a problem. HTH

JNSugarRush Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 5

see I have always been afraid to put fondant on a room temp cake. I always feel like the bc will smush...huh...

pattycakesnj Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 5

it doesn't smush the bc, I let the bc crust first

GayeG Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 5

Thats where your problem is coming from - once the cake starts returning to room temp, that will cause the fondant to become tacky .. To elliminate the "smush" .. just lay your fondant over a *thin* crumb coat .. nothing to "smush" that way icon_wink.gif
If you do still wanna freeze and put it on while cold, just DONT touch the tacky fondant untill it dries .. and it will still be fine ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%