How Can I Politely Reject A Cake Order? (Long, Sorry)

Decorating By maryak Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 1:55am by mombabytiger

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:20pm
post #31 of 44

why did you take this order before knowing if you could do it??? i feel bad for you...i really do, but i guess you will have to chalk this up to learning experience. just do the best you can and go from there. if the cake doesn't come out the way you planned and the customer isn't happy, just give a small discount. there's really nothing else to do, except do the cake. wish things had been different for you. hope all goes well! thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:32pm
post #32 of 44

I have not read most of the replies, so perhaps someone has already said these things. You really do need to walk away from this order. This is a Zilla customer - no matter who she goes to, she is going to find some way to pick the cake apart - cake, dry, whatever, because she's basically just a cheap beeotch, and wants to see how much money her whining will get off her price.

Then you need to stay away from her and customers like her in the future.

What you need to say is

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that the cake topper that you want is beyond my present skill level, and I will not be able to take your order after all."

Theresa icon_smile.gif

maryak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryak Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:29am
post #33 of 44

Thanks all.

Diane when I accepted the cake order it was only for a carved cake of a chefs head. It wasn't until yesterday evening when she made me feel horrible about the cake that she brought it up in front of other people and I said I'd have a look (with regards to the topper).

Anyways the update is that I called her and was very polite and said that I had a look at what she wanted and with the time frame the sugar wouldn't have enough time to dry. She started to literally huff and puff on the phone and said "I wish you'd told me that before!" I reminded her that she only asked for this yesterday evening and she said well what am I supposed to do know. I offered to make her a smaller topper which would dry in time. She asked if she could have 2 toppers and I said sure, but it will cost you more. I got the huff and puff again and she said " I can't afford anymore". Mind you I', doing a cake big enough for 80 for a cost of $120US. I said I wanted to be honest with her and tell her up front rather than show up on the day and not give her what she wanted. Her response was "I just wouldn't pay you!" I said exactly and that 's why I'm telling you now. If' you'd given me two weeks notice I would have had time to dry the topper and there wouldn't be a problem. She huffed some more and said she'd call me back in an hour. That was 5 hours ago!!

Thanks all for all your help and advise, I took it all on board and thought honesty was the best policy.
Mary

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:36am
post #34 of 44

I think you did the right thing Mary! Good for you. I also think if she does call you back, the answer is 'no way', not after how she treated you!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:40am
post #35 of 44

A cake for 80 from a home baker, here where I live in the US, would be a minimum of your price just for the cake, nothing fancy, just a sheet cake, 1 layer, frosting, no filling. And then, they would have to pay extra for the hand-sculpted topper.

My guess is that she already tried other bakers and they would not meet what she thought her price should be. You would be wise to not accept any future orders from her.

Cheap, cheap, cheap. Lives in a nest and eats worms.
That is all.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:00am
post #36 of 44

I would have told her "NO" at the minute she said my samples were dry.

I recently had a bride pick up samples from me 2 different times(6 flavors). She booked her order after the 2nd round of samples and sent me a deposit. About a week later she emailed complaining that ALL of my samples were dry. She wanted to come and pick up more samples(a third time). At this point I was rather annoyed. I sent her a blunt and honest email letting her know that I would not be able to do her wedding cake. If she was unhappy with a freshly baked cupcake sample who knows what kind of complaints she would have with the wedding cake! So I mailed her deposit back and felt it was in everyones best interest to part ways...

I feel this lady is far too much trouble...nothing you do will make her happy. She id much too picky!!! If she calls you back...tell her NO WAY!!!

Best of luck icon_smile.gif

maryak Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:13am
post #37 of 44

Thanks guys, I just got a voicemail from her saying "Don't worry about the cake, my friends going to organise it for me, no hard feelings." But she sounded really angry. Oh well, I don't want to work only for the money. I make cakes as a side business because I enjoy it not to make money off of it.

playingwithsugar I know she only came to me for the cheap price because she kept complaining that the lady she used last time was too expensive.

It's funny though, when I told her about the extra cost for another topper and she huffed I came back and said "You're a business woman, you know that it costs money for extra supplies and extra resources". I know she's going to try to put me down to everyone she knows, but that's fine. I'd rather have fewer happy customers than lots of nasty customers and get stressed each time I bake.

Thank you all again so much!!
Mary

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 27 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #38 of 44

Well handled, Maryak. You were honest, polite, and offered a reasonable alternative. I am impressed with how professional you remained. When she said, "I just wouldn't have paid you" I would have had to say something snarky back about "you don't think you would still get to keep the cake if you refused to pay, do you?"

And now I imagine someone will have something to say about deposits and being paid in full in advance.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:54pm
post #39 of 44

I'M feeling relief for YOU!...now u don't have to deal with her, so that's a plus!!!
and I agree margaretb, after the "I just wouldn't have paid you" comment, I would not be able hold my words!

emilyhorton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyhorton Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:04am
post #40 of 44

You absolutely did the right thing. What a relief!

Don't forget that the people she complains about you to must be used to her complaining about a lot of things. No one is going to think that you were anything but honest and probably very smart for getting away from her when you realized what she was like. Don't even think about her anymore. Put it out of your mind.

Emily icon_smile.gif

maryak Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:42am
post #41 of 44

Thank you all, I am soooo relieved that I don't have to do that cake.

Emily you're so right, she always complains about everyone in the shops/stores around hers. She told me that no one likes her and they've even gone so far as keying her car and telling her and her daughter off while the security guard stood around and did nothing (he obviously doesn't like her either). So to me it was some bad karma that I'm glad I was able to walk away from. Phew! Thank God that I found a way out without having to be rude.

Thank you again to everyone who gave advise, ideas and a supportive comment. You guys are the best!!!

Cheers
Mary

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #42 of 44

Mary...I know you are doing cakes on the side and not just to make money off of it, but would you consider at least asking a reasonable price for your cakes. Please?

Seeing as you are in Australia, I will share what was told to me by a local cake decorating outlet: the MINIMUM you should think about charging is $10 per inch of cake (eg an 8" round = $80) PLUS added costs of labour, ribbon, GP flowers, and any extra decorations.

You are providing unique, one-off designs for customers...don't give them away!! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:40pm
post #43 of 44

It sounds like it just really worked out for the best!! =o) Yeah!!

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:55am
post #44 of 44

Two words: "Swine flu"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%