My First Burger Cake....i Think I Am Gettin The Hang Of This

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 27 May 2009 , 3:57pm by fabulosity

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:14am
post #1 of 14

Ok, I still consider myself very much a NEWBIE to decorating. Or should I say amateur. But I have admired so many of the Burger cakes I have seen on here. Never thought I could do one to do justice to anything I have seen but I have to admit I am pretty darn proud of how this turned out.

Bun is cake, covered in buttercream. Seasame seeds are fondant as well as the veggies and cheese. Pickle and tomato have piping gel on them for the wet look. Mustard is buttercream, meat is RKT covered in dark chocolate.

Thanks for looking....just wanted to share.
LL

13 replies
want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:17am
post #2 of 14

That looks fantastic!

micky3626 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micky3626 Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:05am
post #3 of 14

I don't know about the amatuer part. Your cake looks really good. If, I ever have to do a burger cake I hope it is as good as yours. I have to figure out how to do an oreo cake for my son.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:21am
post #4 of 14

No lie that made my mouth water!

It came out awesome. What it RKT again? thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:28am
post #5 of 14

RKT = Rice Krispie Treats
That's an awesome burger!

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:30am
post #6 of 14

WOW!! Great cake. That looks so REAL! Great job!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:52am
post #7 of 14

Great job on that burger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micky3626

I don't know about the amatuer part. Your cake looks really good. If, I ever have to do a burger cake I hope it is as good as yours. I have to figure out how to do an oreo cake for my son.

This might help, if you can find it:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9379231/index.cfm?pkey=ccake%2Dpans%2Dcupcake%2Dpans&cm%5Fsrc=hero

I want one!

patticakesnc Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 14

Thank you all! I appreciate the comments! My mom said it was so good she ate so much last night she can't even look at it today LOL!

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:04am
post #9 of 14

That is amazing! I love all the detail.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #10 of 14

that cake is awesome! are there any good tutorials out there on how to do a cake like this? i found one here, but i was wondering if there were any others: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=260261.0

by the way, how did you get the bun to have that sheen?

patticakesnc Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:06am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr531

that cake is awesome! are there any good tutorials out there on how to do a cake like this? i found one here, but i was wondering if there were any others: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=260261.0

by the way, how did you get the bun to have that sheen?

I didn't use a tutorial. I just picked a picture on CC I liked and tried to go by it as much as I could. I baked 2 10 in cake and let them cool. Normally I would freeze them but didn't this time. I do recommend doing that though. It would make it much easier to ice.

The veggies I just hand molded out of colored fondant. I cut an imprint of where I wanted the tomato "meat" to be and then pressed it in with my fingers. I made little seeds out of white fondant and then filled in the area with piping gel and the seeds to give it the wet look.

The lettuce was just krinkled up light green fondant and I painted it with leaf green gel mixed with vanilla.

Pickle was the green fondant and just made ridges in it with the end of a paint brush on each side. Then I painted the edges dark green and piping gelled the top.

The burger was the fun part. I made rice krispie treats and when it cooled a little I made it in the burger shape. Melted semi sweet dark chocolate and spread it all over it.

The bun is just covered in buttercream (Tonednas recipe) and smoothed with Viva method.

It wasn't hard at all. I figured trying to carve the top was going to be hard but it wasn't perfect when I carved it at all but once you frost it you can't see any of the flaws.

Thanks for the compliments.

emilyhorton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyhorton Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 14

You did a great job! I love it!

Emily icon_smile.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:44pm
post #13 of 14

Outstanding job!! I would consider you more than a amature. Looks soooo yummy!!

fabulosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulosity Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:57pm
post #14 of 14

These are super fun to make, and I agree that they are easier than you would anticipate. I am a true newbie and yours is far more awesome than mine.

It really looks real!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%