Cake Boss

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 27 May 2009 , 2:00pm by sweetlayers

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #31 of 50

does anyone know how to make that yummy cream puff cake?

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #32 of 50

It cracks me up how Buddy tells what he's doing from minute to minute. He says it like a cliff hanger...I keep waiting for some big disaster story to come but it's just the next thing he did. Kind of keeps you on the edge of your seat.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:16pm
post #33 of 50

I watched an episode online and I don't think it was the same as the one on this thread. The one I watched was about Buddy making 3 cakes for Brides Magazine...did I miss something? I enjoyed it.

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:18pm
post #34 of 50

does anyone know how to make that yummy cream puff cake?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:25pm
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

I watched an episode online and I don't think it was the same as the one on this thread. The one I watched was about Buddy making 3 cakes for Brides Magazine...did I miss something? I enjoyed it.

The one you watched was the pilot which aired a few weeks ago.

Any reality show on TV is going to be staged to some extent. What we actually see is only a small portion of what is filmed. They pick out what they feel will get the best ratings and that is what makes it off the cutting room floor. If there wasn't any drama or excitement people wouldn't watch it, they could just buy a book and learn from there.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #36 of 50

I understand that producers have to 'stage' things sometimes in order to make it work for television, but I just felt like that particular incident was a little too transparent. Otherwise, I love the show. I think it's great.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:49pm
post #37 of 50

that cream puff cake is AMAZING i had it once. but yes its huge!!!! i saw one that was that size its a full sheet with about 3inches of whipped cram and then all around the sides are HUGE choco dipped strawberrys its really yummy

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:50pm
post #38 of 50

Not a fan. I hate the yelling and screaming! No thanks!
Melissa

carterl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carterl Posted 26 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #39 of 50

Overall, I liked the new show because Buddy does take the time to explain things and his cakes are incredible. I also liked how he connected with his clients on a personal level.
I didn't like the way he treated Stretch. Whether it was staged or not, a true professional does not punish his employees when things go wrong. We've all had cakes fall apart in transit, it happens. Buddy should learn from Duff Goldman and see how he handled bad situations, without resorting to childish pranks, so that the employee works well and respects his boss, rather than fearing him. Just my opinion.

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:07am
post #40 of 50

I gave the show another try tonight. I think Buddy does some really fantastic cakes - definitely above my caliber by a long shot. But, I'm not a huge fan of the show. I will watch it to see some new techniques - which you don't see too much on Duff - and because I want to support the cake shows. Buddy, I know you lurk on this sight and I am sure you are checking this thread out. I'm sorry I am not raving about your show. There is just too much yelling for me. My family doesn't yell at each other, so I'm not used to it. We're too mellow, I guess. You do great work. There's just too much yelling...

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #41 of 50

I watched it tonight. I'll give Buddy my honest opinion, whatever it's worth.
I love the live workplace scene and the cakes are great, but it looked sort of like you're trying to outshine Duff by making sure everyone knew yours was 100% edible. The pilot with the Bride's magazine cakes seemed more your style...leave the fireworks in maryland.
The other thing is that you had the fondant fall off the fashionista cake...next week shows the icing falling off the bunny cake. Please don't blame Stretch...clearly, it wasn't his doing.

What I love: family is always #1
What I want to see more of: cake techniqiues

will I watch again: of course!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:41am
post #42 of 50

I doubt the mishap was staged... I know where Carlo's bakery is in relation to where the Stretch was parked, and you could LITERALLY walk there from the bakery (although you wouldn't want to carrying a cake), so it's not so out of the realm of possibility that Buddy would deliver the cake there himself after all.

And all the yelling, well, that just makes me feel like I'm home... I'm from a big, loud Italian-American family and that's the sound of love, believe it or not icon_smile.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #43 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissycupcakes

that cream puff cake is AMAZING i had it once. but yes its huge!!!! i saw one that was that size its a full sheet with about 3inches of whipped cram and then all around the sides are HUGE choco dipped strawberrys its really yummy

OMG! I just told someone tonight that the strawberries were so HUGE that you could make a whole pie out of one! WHERE do you even get those! I would love to make that cake!

I love this show.....BETTER than Ace of Cakes in my opinion!

Beth

AndiSC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndiSC Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:03am
post #44 of 50

I loved it! I'd love to have a piece of that cream puff cake. YUM!!!

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:12am
post #45 of 50

I have to say that I really enjoyed the show...learned a few things...the thing about Stretch is...if he really wasn't liked/loved like one of the family, then they wouldn't have picked on him as much!! Happens all the time...I though it was pretty innocent... I thought DH was going to fall out of his seat laughing! Stretch didn't seem to mind. At least, HE didn't yell back LOL. That's the only thing that bothered me...in the commercials during the show, it was about an upcoming episode with Buddy's sisters all yelling at one another...it's family right? But do ya need to scream OVER the FOOD!? Now THAT'S uncalled for...just my opinion! LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:25pm
post #46 of 50

Love the show! While A of C has it's own charm, I love looking behind the scenes of a full retail bakery. The yelling just reminds me of my husband's family. Looks like a close, loving family to me! icon_smile.gif

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #47 of 50

I think I'll be watching this show with the mute button on. I like seeing how the cakes are made, and all the little details (so unlike Duff) but I can't stand listening to Buddy. I also felt there was a lot of copycat stuff from A of C.
On the other hand, his bakery looks clean and unlike Charm City, there is nobody with greasy hair hanging over the cake!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:31pm
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

On the other hand, his bakery looks clean and unlike Charm City, there is nobody with greasy hair hanging over the cake!

That drives me crazy! I cant stand how some of the girls there are always messing with their hair and then touching the cake again!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #49 of 50

[quote="JGMB"]After watching the show, I was sure I'd have nightmares about having to deliver a cake in the rain!!! I'm new to caking and that possibility had never occurred to me before.

What do you do if it's pouring rain and your cake doesn't fit in a box?[/quote]

Yes, I'm quoting my own previous post here icon_wink.gif No one answered -- how do you possibly deliver a cake if it's pouring rain?

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:00pm
post #50 of 50

[quote="JGMB"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

After watching the show, I was sure I'd have nightmares about having to deliver a cake in the rain!!! I'm new to caking and that possibility had never occurred to me before.

What do you do if it's pouring rain and your cake doesn't fit in a box?[/quote]

Yes, I'm quoting my own previous post here icon_wink.gif No one answered -- how do you possibly deliver a cake if it's pouring rain?

I loosely wrap all my deliveries, (fondant or buttercream), in handi-wrap. Then when I get to where I'm going I just pull it off. It's no big deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%