A Question About Candy Molds...

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 1 Feb 2016 , 3:56am by Psilverio

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #1 of 19

I have a few questions about molds.

First off, I had a horrible time with some truffles I made. I got some flexable rubber ice cube molds from the dollar store that I thought would work great for shaping the chocolate truffles. They were in various beach themed shapes, very cute. I took the wilton advice and painted the chocolate on the inside of the mold. I let that set, then I poured in my cooled ganache, let that set, then sealed the top with more chocolate. They all stuck. My hubby and I ended up taking a tray and sitting there digging them out with a spoon. lol. Delicious though.

So what did I do wrong? Why did they stick so bad? Do I need to grease the molds before? Maybe use some pam or something?

Do the flexable thin plastic chocolate molds just work better?

Also, if I want to make some candy jewels, like from jolly ranchers or something like that, can I use plastic molds or will it melt them?

Thanks for your advice.

18 replies
poohthebear Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:06am
post #2 of 19

Not sure about using a spray like pam. It might ruin your chocolate. Do know you can't use the thin plastic molds for hot sugar mixtures. It will melt right thru them.

Loucinda Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:14am
post #3 of 19

Did you put them in the freezer for a few minutes to see if they would release?

angelicconfections Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 19

I always use the hard plastic kind. put the candy melts in, melted, pop in freezer for 5 to 10 min and the pop right out! I don't know about the spray, although I do spray metal tins with non stick spray when I make fudge. Don't use the butter flavor, it leaves a yellow residue on the fudge! I find the flexible silicone molds work good for cream cheese mints, marzipan and fondant.

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 19

They were in the freezer overnight. They stuck horribly. So maybe it was just the wrong kind of mold. Do you guys paint the chocolate in your molds? Maybe my layer of chocolate was too thin and the ganache leaked through and stuck? That was my husband's theory.

luv2c_cultures Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 19

I've always used the hard plastic kind. But I did buy some molds like you from the dollar store that I was hoping to try. I will keep my eye on this thread to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Maybe coat the with a little bit of oil and do a thicker coat of chocolate? I've you tried making them again?

sugarshack Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:55am
post #7 of 19

i think that kind of plastic will not release the choc like the "real" molds do.

angelicconfections Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:00am
post #8 of 19

yes I have painted my candy molds, and also have just filled them with melted candy melts. I really found that the candy melts are the best to work with for molding. Melted choc chips and almond bark get more air bubble, stick to the mold and the choc chips/candy bar choc gets a whiteish color around the details. If you leave the candy melts in the freezer to long they will stick as well. If the candy wants to stick i upend on a silicone mat and give the underside of the mold a couple of quick taps with my hand, that usually does it. If not I rap the mold sharply onto a cutting board. I think your DH is on the right track, your chocolate shell could have been too thin. I did make some carmel center candies at xmas time. I filled the mold impression almost half full, then let it set in freezer. when set, I rolled the carmel in melted cocoa candy melts, set into mold, freeze. then final top layer of candy and let set. It worked but I had to use smaller amounts of carmel than I had planned. I cut the carmels in half. Good luck!

TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:13am
post #9 of 19

Were the insides to the molds smooth or textured?

Have you tried filling the molds with just candy melts, with out the truffle to see if it works?

Necey Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #10 of 19

I too thought I would use the silicone & other plastic molds from the dollar store when I first started to make chocolates last year...same results..DISASTER...even when put in the freezer. Since then , I use only the clear plastic molds sold wherever I buy my candy melts...they work every time, even when chocolate is hot, they do not melt and cleaning is a breeze and I might add, making chocolates is so much fun when you use the proper molds. I found out like you...the hard way. good luck icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:22am
post #11 of 19

They were textured. Some looked like shells, palm trees, fish, etc. Complicated shapes and textures probably didnt help my situation. lol.

I have not tried it again with just chocolate. I dont use the candy melts. To be honest Im a little nervous about using them. I like the taste of real chocolate and I have used other chocolate barks and the taste was just horrible. Do the candy melts actually taste like real chocolate? I am just afraid It will end up being a low quality taste and I wont like it so I just havent tried.

Im going to get some real chocolate molds and try again in a few days. Maybe Ill paint the shell a little thicker.


Also, do you guys have any tips for thinning the chocolate a bit? I just want it to be easier to spread, but I dont want it to get too soft when it dries. I saw someone suggested vegetable oil, but that didnt help much at all. Actually for some reason it got thicker the longer it sat. Even after re-heating it, it wouldnt thin up again. I have heard of using crisco to thin chocolate. Is that the best method?

TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:39am
post #12 of 19

Sometimes the textures in some things won't release the chocolate. Like I have heard you should never do a sugar mold (sugar and water, dries hard) in a mold you want to do chocolate in cause it can scratch the mold and you would never get them out.

I'm thinking though, now that you mentioned it, that it is the chocolate that is the problem. Did you use chocolate chips or what? They may not set up the way candy melts or the barks do. I don't know much about 'real' chocolate, but I know you have to temper it for some applications.

madgeowens Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:50am
post #13 of 19

I just pour the melted chocolate in whatever mold I am using and put it in the fridge until its completely set and then pop them out.....usually a mold that is like you described if its twisted a bit they will come out. I don't think all those steps are necessary. I used the silicone egg shapes at Easter and they worked great.

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:45am
post #14 of 19

TexasSugar
I used dark chocolate dove pieces, actually.
You know before you even mentioned that about the simple syrup I have been thinking about using it for a few things. We use it at work to add moisture to our BC and when that stuff spills you gotta clean it up before it dries, otherwise it IS hard as a rock. I had thought about pouring it in molds to make gems and such. Does that work? We use a 1:1 ratio sugar and water, should it be thicker? Im glad you mentioned that. Now my gears are turning. lol.

Madge, lol no matter how much I twisted that thing those chocolates werent budging. THey were stuck in there like glue. We literally had to dig them out. I have a feeling that my shell was too thin and the ganache leaked through and stuck to the sides of the mold.

Sweet_Guys Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #15 of 19

To thin down the chocolate, use palm kernel oil.

Paul (& Peter)

JCE62108 Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:39pm
post #16 of 19

Thank you. Is that something I can find in the grocery store?

Sweet_Guys Posted 26 May 2009 , 10:49pm
post #17 of 19

No...Check one of the online supply companies.

madgeowens Posted 27 May 2009 , 3:31am
post #18 of 19

Maybe it was what you used for the mold? I use Crisco to thin my chocolate. Thats A darn shame that happened.......let us know if you figure out what it was.

Psilverio Posted 1 Feb 2016 , 3:55am
post #19 of 19

I just tried using the silicon mold and it worked. I didn't grease mold but only put in freezer for 8mins. I used the wilton candy melts and did not add anything to make it thinner.56aed74fcb9dc.jpeg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%