Ideas For A Bat-Mitzvah Girl?

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 27 May 2009 , 5:04pm by luv2bake6

luv2bake6 Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 11

I have friends who invited me to a bat-mitzvah for their daughter. I'd like to make something special as a gift for her or maybe make a bunch of surprise favors. Not sure.
Can't wait to hear your great ideas!!

10 replies
en-passant Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:36am
post #2 of 11

Do they keep kosher? If they do (and you don't), I definately would not make any kind of food gift at all.

redpanda Posted 26 May 2009 , 7:58am
post #3 of 11

What kinds of things do you make? If you make jewelry, you might want to check if your friend's daughter will be getting a tallit (prayer shawl), and if so, if she would like a tallit clip. You can Google for images of what they look like.

I made one for my friend's son three years ago, incorporating his love of percussion instruments (drum set charms on the clips). This past Spring, when his sister had her Bat Mitzvah, she asked if I could make one for her, too. I made one using really pretty glass beads.

luv2bake6 Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 11

Oh, i was referring to decorated cookies.

redpanda Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:04am
post #5 of 11

Oops! Sorry. Do you know what the requirements of the reception venue are, with regards to Kosher requirements? Depending on what the requirements are, you may or may not be able to make any food gifts/favors.

Even if the venue allows non-Kosher food, it would be good to find out whether there are guests that do keep Kosher, because if they do, they will need to know that the favors are not OK for them.

ahuvas Posted 27 May 2009 , 6:06am
post #6 of 11

Ditto on kosher but if they dont care you could always make traditional jewish symbols like star of david (but imho thats a little cliche) or if you her name means something special you could incorporate that into a cookie - for example Sarah is associated with words crown/princess or whatever or if her bat mitzvah has a theme just go with that.

Joanne914 Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 11

Just a thought, but most 13 year old girls love anything to do with fashion.
(I know, i have 3 daughters) Do you have any "fashion" cookie cutters?
Purse, high heel, nail polish, lipstick, etc. She would probably love any of those. You could always mix in some "congrats" cookies with them or smiley faces! Best of luck in your baking!

bonniebakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #8 of 11

you might also check with the family to see what the "theme" is for the reception. These days, almost everyone has a theme, instead of just colors. Last year I did favors for a bat mitzvah that were fish (in my photos) because it matched the centerpieces at the tables.

luv2bake6 Posted 27 May 2009 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 11

Kosher is not an issue as i keep kosher myself and the party is at her house.

I will try and get an answer on the theme. You are right, if i can match my cookies to anything similar, it'd be nice. I will let you guys know on the theme.

If its a surprise and i can't squeeze it out of my friend, i will go with Joanne's and Ahuva's ideas. I have a purse cookie cutter that i could personalize with her name on them. That would be nice.

Thanks i appreciate all your help!!

bebea Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 11

that is so sweet of you to think of that.

cookies in little cello bags that everyone could take home would be great. esp if you can find out the theme!

luv2bake6 Posted 27 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks.
I'm going to call her later and ask if i can help with anything to try to squeeze out the theme idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%