Vacuum Sealing Leftover Fondant And Gum Paste

Decorating By PennySue Updated 28 May 2009 , 8:26pm by dutchy1971

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 25 May 2009 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 12

Left over fondant and gum paste can get dry in time, esp. if they are colors that are not used with regularity. Has anyone tried vacuum sealing them? If so, how did it work and what sealer did you use? Thanks!

11 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 12

i have one and never tried it with my fondant or gum paste. it's designed to keep frost and air out. i wrap mine in saran wrap but sometimes a bit won't get covered and dries out. my meats i put in a freezer bag with original packaging and it still get's in so i would use it. think i'll get mine out Thanks

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 12

I put mines in a bread bag, then ziploc and put it in the Satin Ice Container.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:03am
post #4 of 12

I have been storing leftover fondant and gumpaste for several years now. I use the FoodSaver vacuum system and I can cut the bags to the size I need and seal it up and put it away - usually in a left over SI bucket. I also have several canisters that I can vacuum seal as well and I have successfully stored fondant with no problems.

If I have a large amount left over, I make the bag a little larger than normal so that I can cut it open, take out what I need and then reseal it.

Works like a charm!!!

ptanyer Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:05am
post #5 of 12

I have been storing leftover fondant and gumpaste for several years now. I use the FoodSaver vacuum system and I can cut the bags to the size I need and seal it up and put it away - usually in a left over SI bucket. I also have several canisters that I can vacuum seal as well and I have successfully stored fondant with no problems.

If I have a large amount left over, I make the bag a little larger than normal so that I can cut it open, take out what I need and then reseal it.

Works like a charm!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:05am
post #6 of 12

I have. It works great, since it sucks out the air, which is what causes the problems. I still rolled mine in logs or balls and coated them in crisco. I had some that was vacuum sealed that was still soft 6 months later.

ptanyer Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:06am
post #7 of 12

Double post - sorry about that. Don't know how it happened.

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:12am
post #8 of 12

I have been sealing mine with no problems. I also use the FoodSaver system when I am at home.

When I am teaching a fondant class, I use the portable sealer that you can find in the zip lock bag isle at the grocery store. It cost about $10 and I bought the special bags to use with it. It works really well also, and the bags are reusable.

I haven't had a problem with the fondant drying out using both systems.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #9 of 12

Wonderful! thank you all so much. I was thinking about either forking out for the Foodsaver or just trying the Zip loc vacuum one. Either way, I'm sure I'll be happy not to have to toss out a fondant investment just because it dried out!

candice1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candice1988 Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:17am
post #10 of 12

I use the ziploc system that works with a little hand pump. It works great for sealing the fondant well and is cheaper than the vacuum kind.

Baysmeme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baysmeme Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:29am
post #11 of 12

I also use the FoodSaver sealer - works great! I do the same as ptanyer for large amounts, I make the bag big enough to be opened and re-sealed a few times. I have the new handheld Ziplok, but the FoodSaver works much better.

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:26pm
post #12 of 12

what a great idea, never thought of using my food saver for that. Think I'll be getting it out when I get home lol.

great tip thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%