Edible Image On Whipped Icing..will It Work?

Decorating By hensor Updated 26 May 2009 , 3:19pm by Melvira

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone put an edible image on whipped icing. I have a request for a graduation cake with whipped icing, but I have never put an EI on one before. Will the EI hold on this type of icing?
Thanks

4 replies
Lineah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lineah Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 5

yes it does...or at least I know it does if it is frozen....I have only done this on ice cream cakes, where the frosting is the whipped cream. Once frozen place the EI on....the only thing i don't know about is leaving it out after the EI is placed...like I said I've done this and it works, but it was frozen after the EI was placed on it as well....HTH

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 5

Yes it will. Chain bakeries do it all the time (think wal-mart) However you need to be aware that the colors and sharp lines will blur a little bit the longer it is on the whipped icing. Nothing that it won't be recognizable, just that it is not as crisp as when it's printed.

For this reason i recommend putting the photo on as late as possible before it is delivered or picked-up.

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks leily. I was worried it would be too soft to hold the image.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 5

Yep, it sure does, but Leily is right that it will be slightly less sharp. Not bad though. I did one this weekend where I had to apply the image the night before due to time constraints, and it looked absolutely fine in the am. Just a tiny bit less sharp, but not really all that noticeable, and the customer was thrilled with it, so I can't complain! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%