Edible Image On Whipped Icing..will It Work?

Decorating By hensor Updated 26 May 2009 , 3:19pm by Melvira

hensor Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone put an edible image on whipped icing. I have a request for a graduation cake with whipped icing, but I have never put an EI on one before. Will the EI hold on this type of icing?

4 replies
Lineah Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 5

yes it does...or at least I know it does if it is frozen....I have only done this on ice cream cakes, where the frosting is the whipped cream. Once frozen place the EI on....the only thing i don't know about is leaving it out after the EI is placed...like I said I've done this and it works, but it was frozen after the EI was placed on it as well....HTH

leily Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 5

Yes it will. Chain bakeries do it all the time (think wal-mart) However you need to be aware that the colors and sharp lines will blur a little bit the longer it is on the whipped icing. Nothing that it won't be recognizable, just that it is not as crisp as when it's printed.

For this reason i recommend putting the photo on as late as possible before it is delivered or picked-up.

hensor Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:14pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks leily. I was worried it would be too soft to hold the image.

Melvira Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 5

Yep, it sure does, but Leily is right that it will be slightly less sharp. Not bad though. I did one this weekend where I had to apply the image the night before due to time constraints, and it looked absolutely fine in the am. Just a tiny bit less sharp, but not really all that noticeable, and the customer was thrilled with it, so I can't complain! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%