Normita Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #1 of

So this weekend I did a 3 tier TT. Boy was that a challenge!!! It was bc with fondant accents. I had so much trouble putting on each tier without messing up the icing. Is there any special way to do this...or do you stack the cake before you ice??? I almost had an accident with this cake....not enough support under each tier and it started to crack. Live and learn....Any suggestions will be helpfull icon_smile.gif

10 replies
KoryAK Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of

Me, I don't do TT cakes that aren't fondant icon_smile.gif. Once the fond and all-butter buttercream and fully chilled I can pick up the cake by the sides and manhandle it in.

leah_s Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of

I'm with Kory. If it's TT, it's fondant. Period.

Loucinda Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #4 of

I have only done them in buttercream (one 2 tier and one 3 tier) I didn't have too much trouble (the first one was the 3 tier and I learned a few things on that one) I am sure it is much easier to do in fondant though. I just don't get folks that will order fondant cakes much.

Cutting the hole big enough was my only trouble, once I got that figured out, it went fine. (I have only done those 2 though, so I am not an expert by any means!)

Normita Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:47pm
post #5 of

Thanks everyone. Thats what my hubby suggested..."If you had done it in fondant it would have been easier to do". I am pretty sure it is easier to do, however I know not alot of people like the fondant texture

__Jamie__ Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #6 of

It doesn't matter much to me whether or not they want fondant, it's the fact that they want a topsy turvy, and if I would make it, and expect it to look good, I would insist that it was fondant. They can peel it off. It's like the old "can you duplicate this (insert fancy a$$ pic of heavily detailed fondant cake here) in BC?" Next thing ya know....you're on Cake Wrecks...and not the Sunday Sweets edition if you know what I mean.

And CONGRATS to Edna who was on Cake Wrecks this past Sunday! Woo hoo!!

Loucinda Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:38am
post #7 of

I think the cakes I did in b/c looked nice, and the folks who ordered them loved them. I try to expand my horizons and do things a tad beyond my comfort level to keep learning. (I am in no way as good as a lot of people on here - but I keep on swimming!!)

If the first one you tried didn't turn out how you wanted it to, just wait for an opportunity to try again - I learn something new from every new thing I try!

didi5 Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #8 of

Most of the TT cakes I did were in BC with fondant accents. There's a couple of them in my photo gallery. I use IMBC and after frosting the cake, I place it in the freezer until the icing is firm. This way it will buy me some time to manipulate the cake.

sugarshack Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:53am
post #9 of

if you leave your supports stiking up a bit and let the tier descend down slowly on them, you will mess up your icing less.

HTH

dinoscake Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:00am

look cakejournal.com

KoryAK Posted 26 May 2009 , 3:40am

For those who don't like fondant and want some look that needs it, I just tell them to think of it as a candy shell.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%