Help! I'm Stressing Out...

Decorating By triciat126 Updated 19 Jan 2007 , 12:50am by triciat126

triciat126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
triciat126 Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:02am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone! I was asked to make a wedding cake for a couple I know from church and they want me to make a display wedding cake in addition to two layer sheet cakes to feed 500 people.

I know what to do for the sheet cakes, but when it comes to the display weeding cake, I am stressing out a little. I have used fondant before on my neice's birthday cake, but not on a 3 tier wedding cake.

My questions are:

1. is there a certain kind of bettercream that I need to use to adhere the fondant to the cake? (can I used an italian meringue bittercream?)

2. can I store a cake covered in fondant in the refrigerator or should I just leave it out?

3. How long can fondant be left on the cake before it starts getting hard and crack?

4. how do i prevent cracking of the fondant?

Sorry for all the question! I just don't want to mess up on their wedding cake. Thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:07am
post #2 of 7

the only thing I can answer is that you shouldn't put the fondant in the fridge. I do it sometimes, but it turns the fondant very sticky and it sweats and is a big mess.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:10am
post #3 of 7

[quote="triciat126"]
1. is there a certain kind of bettercream that I need to use to adhere the fondant to the cake? (can I used an italian meringue bittercream?)

You only need to moisten the dummy with water to get the fondant to stick. Please don't use an IMBC--it can mold and/or smell

2. can I store a cake covered in fondant in the refrigerator or should I just leave it out?

No need to refrigerate. Fondant covered dummies last a very long time--they need to be dusted from time to time. To keep colors vibrant, you may want to cover it with a blue or black trash bag or a box.
3. How long can fondant be left on the cake before it starts getting hard and crack?

Fondant gets hard on a dummy in less than 2 days. There's no reason for it to crack unless exposed to high heat or it's dropped.
Don't expose it to high hear or drop it.

HTH.
Rae

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:15am
post #4 of 7

the fondant should'nt dry out since a cake is moist it will keep the fondant moist for a least 3 days or more it locks in the moisture of the cake just use a thin layer of buttercream or IMBC it is also ok to keep out of the fridge I buy my IMBC at a bakery 25 lbs at a time and asked them if there is a problem keeping it out and they said 2-3 days is ok and you can freeze it up to 6 months since you are adding hot syrup to the egg whites it is cooked and there is enough sugar to preserve it. Relax and have fun. Nothing to worry about. If the fondant is for the display cake are you using styro dummies. I keep my fondant dummies for months and it has never cracked all I do is wet the dummy and put the fondant on.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:16am
post #5 of 7

Just use a regular buttercream, CC has great recipes for BC.

Just leave it out, make sure your fillings do not need to be refrigerated, if using a real cake, not dummies of course.

It shouldn't crack... Fondant will and should get hard to keep the moisture of the cake (not rock hard though).

Cracking when? When rolling or covering your cake? Or when the cake is already covered? If you need to avoid cracks when covering a cake try to roll it a little thick and use crisco. Once the cake is covered in fondant, it shouldn't crack.

I hope this was of any help to you. Good Luck!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 6:20am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by triciat126

...when it comes to the display weeding cake, I am stressing out a little. I have used fondant before on my neice's birthday cake, but not on a 3 tier wedding cake.

When I start to feel overwhelmed, I just think of each tier as an indiv cake instead of one big display. I actually like doing weddings better than parties because I don't think they take as much detail. Of course, I put a lot of detail into my party cakes, so that might just be me.

Anyway, I've never done fondant before, but bc on a wedding cake is the same as bc on a birthday cake. There are just a few more of them. thumbs_up.gif

Good Luck!

triciat126 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
triciat126 Posted 19 Jan 2007 , 12:50am
post #7 of 7

thanks for all your suggestions! I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%