Give Aways

Baking By CAKEARTIST Updated 27 May 2009 , 1:46am by cylstrial

CAKEARTIST Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEARTIST Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 12

She wants me to make some decorated cookie samples to take to church as a marketing tool to help me get business. She is starting an event planning business and wants to list me as one of her preferred vendors. It is a huge church and she wants to take to the Bible Study Classes. There are about 20-25 classes that have up to 15 people in each. I cannot afford to make one for each person so how many cookies do you think I should make? How many different designs should I make?

11 replies
crazygravy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygravy Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 12

Are these people your target market? If the answer is yes, I'd probably make 3-4 batches. If not, I'd just make up a batch of decorated cookies too look at then take a bunch of mini's (or regular cookies cut into 4's) for sampling.

CAKEARTIST Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you for replying. This would be my target audience. I would have great possibilties.

CAKEARTIST Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 12

How many different designs do you think I should do? I do not want to over do it and stress myself out.

crazygravy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygravy Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 12

Do you have a portfolio of things you've done in the past? If so, I'd just limit to 4-5 designs and then show them your portfolio--or even make them a color brochure...send extras for them to pass out for you---free advertisting. Maybe even give them a 5-10% coupon off of their first order? Or maybe 6 free cookies with purchase of 2 dozen!!!

CAKEARTIST Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 12

No I don't have a portfolio of past designs. My pictures were lost by someone who was to create a portfolio for me. The young lady who asked me to do the cookies has offered to take pictures of them before she hands them out so that I can start a portfolio.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 12

I would do mini's (1") for tasting---just your basic cookie w/ icing, no decortaing.

Decorate how ever many you want normal size. If you don't have a portfolio I would make a few more. I think for show a cookie bouquet would give more of a WOW factor than just seeing cookies lying on a platter.

You might have a few coupons but I wouldn't hand out too many. If there are aprx 375 people you could end up overwhelming yourself w/ coupons. Maybe one that gives a time frame (1 or 2 weeks---put a DATE) you get ___% off. Then if you are overwhelmed w/ orders you can turn people down, but you won't have people hanging on to their coupons forever. You want to get out there not wondering if people are going to be using their coupons 6 months down the road

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 12

I'd do small cookies, no decoration, maybe you can do something like these and I think is better you take the pictures before delivering them.
LL

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:08pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKEARTIST

How many different designs do you think I should do? I do not want to over do it and stress myself out.

I've been doing a table set up at several events this year, and have the same issues. I would set up a table that all bible study groups would see walking by with all your main items. People have questions on the spot which couldn't be answered if you weren't there. And have your price lists to hand out, as well as your calendar open, ready for business. They also ask if I have a website and biz card, so be prepared.

I have several flavors of roll-out gourmet flavors, so I just roll out one batch of each, cut 1" squares with a pizza cutter, 1" round cutter, zig-zag cutter, etc for flavor samples -1 snack baggie for each person with all flavors, frosted to taste, and a printed office label on each bag with the flavor key and your contact information. This and your handouts would be a great marketing tool for people to take with them.

I have on the display table my most unique designs of cutters and icing techniques, something that makes me stand out from the regular cookie girl in my area. Then place on a tray or basket, bagged with cute bows, as I would for an order, in little "theme" areas on the table -baby cookies set on a pretty baby blanket, women's theme (bags, shoes, dresses), on a print scarf, etc. I also thought of rolling gum paste or something to cut out just for the design sample (not edible) and decorate with edible icings and package as normal. These would last longer and would transport to each event with less damage. I bake to order, so I don't like to sweat how much to make and what designs will sell, unless I'm at a show to only sell cookies off my table. In that case, women's and kid's themes sell the best for me.

CAKEARTIST Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:51pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much for all your ideas. I really appreciate it. I think all of you have basically let me know not to go crazy making all these decorated cookies with different designs. I guess I was stressing myself out because I wanted the wow factor so that people would be interested in placing an order for their next event.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #11 of 12

Just wow them w/ set up! Cookies taste the same whether they are small/large, quickly iced/major detail!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #12 of 12

Let us know how it goes! I bet you will get some good orders out of this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%