Advise For A Cake For Preschool With Crazy Rules

Decorating By SJEmom Updated 25 May 2009 , 7:13pm by crazygravy

SJEmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJEmom Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 8

I want to bring a cake for my DS's preschool class ("the Lions") however the preschool has some REALLY crazy rules that they can't seem to get around - has to come from a Kosher bakery, has to be completely nut free (no possible traces/shared equipment), can't be baked at home. icon_mad.gif They said I can bake it in school and currently are allowing me to decorate it at home. (which makes no sense, but they may take that back) My plan was to make a simple sheet cake with a picture of a lion's face on it.

Some questions:
1 - for a class of 20 kids plus 4 teachers, plus parents I am assuming I need a 1/2 sheet cake (11x15) - is this right?
2- they are not letting me use my pan and they don't have a pan that big - could I bake in a disposable aluminum tin? Do they make disposable aluminum tins that large? Will it release properly? Bake properly?
3 - Am I nuts to jump through these hoops? And so you know, most of the Kosher bakeries will not guarantee that their product is fully nut free. There is one bakery that is kosher and nut free, but it is also dairy free and very expensive.

7 replies
JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 8

That's rediculous. I dont know if Id even go through all the trouble for that. What is the event for? Just curious.

If it were me Id pass. They have those stupid rules, they can miss out. >icon_sad.gif

Id just bake my little one a special cake. icon_smile.gif

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 8

SJEmom,

1. That size sounds right to me, especially for little kids.
2. I don't know
3. YES!

I say this with utmost kindness and respect, there is no way I would do all that just to provide a home-made cake to that class. I would suggest to the teacher that she send a note home and ask parents to send a set amount to buy the cake from a school approved bakery.

I know you probably really want to make this cake, but it sounds like a super-duper PITA to me and you will have many more opportunities to make cakes for you son without all the crazy rules.

JMHO

Kim

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 8

Jewish laws for Kashrud are not stupid, and if you put your kids in a jewish school, you know this are the rules. My kids are in a jewish school and a I don't have a kosher kitchen so I go and buy a cake from the kosher bakery, and don't worry my head with rules that I accepted and I know I can't nor I don't want to change.
The nuts rules are for health safety, not stupid at all.

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 8

I feel for you. I have done cakes that are dairy free, gluten free and nut free but not for sale. I really wanted to open a line of allergen free treats, but the legal ramifications changed my mind. Some people are so sensative that if your vanilla sat unopened next to a bag of unopened nuts on the grocery shelf they would get a reaction. I empathize with people who have special dietary needs but it is a big risk to your buisness to do so. I also know that a lot of schools are going completely nut free, and many require that parents bring only 'store bought' treats to school. I completely understand your wish to provide a cake for your child's preschool, but that is a lot of bother. I don't see why it would be a problem to use brand new, unopened disposable cake pans since they are new. best of luck icon_smile.gif

SJEmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJEmom Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolacaracas

Jewish laws for Kashrud are not stupid, and if you put your kids in a jewish school, you know this are the rules. My kids are in a jewish school and a I don't have a kosher kitchen so I go and buy a cake from the kosher bakery, and don't worry my head with rules that I accepted and I know I can't nor I don't want to change.
The nuts rules are for health safety, not stupid at all.

I totally agree. I would not get a cake with the possibility of traces of nuts because I know that is serious stuff. However I am frustrated because there aren't any children with nut allergies in the class. It is a school wide rule. Also, I totally get the Kosher thing. We keep kosher. I have a kosher kitchen. Of the class of 20 there are 4 families that I can think of who actually keep kosher - all of them either have eaten at my home, or would eat at my home.

This is for an end of year breakfast. All of the children are "graduating" and are going on to Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten. I wanted to help mark the morning as something other than a bagel and fruit breakfast and as special with a cake. icon_sad.gif

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 8

JMHO,
If you want to follow their rules and make the cake to their specifications... go right ahead thumbs_up.gif

To me, an 11x15 is pretty big for 20 kids and 4 teachers, kids in my experience don't eat large pieces of cake.

I have baked in aluminum pans before, I just line with wax/parchment paper like I do regular pans, and grease/flour of course.

They do sell aluminum disposable pans pretty big, but again, you may not need 11x15, something smaller would probably do just as well.

HTH

crazygravy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazygravy Posted 25 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 8

With all those rules, I'd probably send a $2-3 donation!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%