Looking For Recipe- Molding Rice Krispies Into Elmo

Decorating By neelycharmed Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm by paula19

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 15

Hi,
I am looking for a recipe for rice krispies squares, but I need it to be strong, and easy to mold.
I need to make a huge Elmo( top half only) on top of the cake.
Do you just cut back on the marshmallows, or is there a recipe for molding/shaping?
Thanks a bunch!

14 replies
bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 15

I think the recipe may be found on a box of Rice Krispies cereal...not sure though.
Welcome to CC
Hope that helps.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 15

I am wondering this myself. I used the ready-made Rice Krispie treats for the first time last week (I made a tent) and loved how easy it was. I just stacked a few and pressed, they stuck together just fine. Then I used my electric knife and carved it into a tent shape.

I am going to use them again to make Barbie dresses in the mini Wonder Mold pan and thought about maybe softening the RKT in the microwave for a few seconds and them smushing them in the molds.

I definitely do not want to have to make my own RKT. Hopefully, someone can help both of us!

Kim

slopokesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slopokesgirl Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 15

I was most successful with mixing modeling chocolate with RKT. It made modeling it easy and it solidifies fast and hard.

slopokesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slopokesgirl Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 15

Just check out my post on my Pepe Le Piu.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623004-.html

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 15

Check out my photos.... I made a RKT Elmo and also used the ready-made. They worked great....

kimblyd Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 15

Slopokesgirl,

I just read the whole thread, funny and amazing. Thanks for posting the link. You are very talented!

Think I'm going to give your idea a whirl. Wish me luck.

Kim

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 15

Hi neelycharmed ~
Welcome to CC!!
I make the recipe on the box - except I dont use butter, just mm and rk .. and usually add about 1/2c less rk than called for .. that way there is less bumpy-ness (is that a word? hmmm) and you have to carve less off, being able to mold it as you want it .. works great for me! I dont ever have to carve it .. just mold and let dry.
HTH!

kimblyd Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 15

mija,

Love your cute cakes and avatar! icon_biggrin.gif

Did you have to warm up your ready-made RKT to mold your Elmo?

Kim

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:25pm
post #10 of 15

Hi everyone!
thanks for your all help! So, I don't even need to heat the RKT? just mold it? thats great!
I will post the picture once Elmo is done.
I could stay on this website all day! It is addictive!lol

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 26 May 2009 , 8:46am
post #11 of 15

Making RKT is easy and cheap. The only bad thing is washing the dishes! I use 4 cups of rk cereal, 5 cups mini marshmallows, and 1/4 cup butter.

1st melt the butter thoroughly in a medium sized pot, then you dump the marshmallows in. Keep mixing until the marshmallows melt and they no longer have a shape. Dump the cereal in. Mix all the mixture fast to make sure all the cereal gets covered in marshmallow. And that's it.

When you're working the RKT, shape and press it hard so it's compacted. If you don't and you are going to cover it with fondant, it's going to have a bumpy surface. Have fun! icon_smile.gif

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblyd

mija,

Love your cute cakes and avatar! icon_biggrin.gif

Did you have to warm up your ready-made RKT to mold your Elmo?

Kim

No I don't warm up the RKT. No need to, just kneading it with your hands warms it up enough.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 27 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #13 of 15

If you crush up the krispies before you mix them with the marshmallows, it will smoosh together a little better. I did a full size elmo about a year ago, and didn't use butter in my recipe either. it wasn't as bumpy because i smooshed them. can't wait to see your finished pics.
good luck

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:26am
post #14 of 15

I have bad experience with the hardening of RKT so I just use the ready made one instead.

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #15 of 15

You guys, it surprised me, but someone in the administration read the RKT recipe that I posted here and I guess liked it and posted it. It's in the newest recipes, Rice Krispies Treats - RKT, by admin. I know because their instructions even sound almost exactly like mine lol. I think that's kinda cool. I didn't see that coming icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%