Motor To Turn Car On Cake?

Decorating By Suewillo Updated 26 May 2009 , 4:17am by Suewillo

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 9

Is there anyone that has used a motor to spin a cake/car or something on a cake. I can't find anything that is the right speed. I live in Pickering Ontario. If you have any idea's that would help me find or make a motor please let me know. I am making two cakes for my twin grandson's who are turning 5 and I want to put a nascar car on one and a monster jam truck on the other one. I see Duff using motors all the time and they are small. The source has them but they are for making cars go fast. This would be really great to do for the boys and I only get to see them once a year and really want to spoil them with these cakes.
Thanks for any help or idea's on how to do this. I only have less then 2 weeks to find this motor.

Sue

8 replies
CandystorePA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandystorePA Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 9

I personally research this and found that he uses model car motor and he find it in hobby car stores. also try store that has minatures parts for motor cars and trains. if not take apart a model car, if you find at a flea market or second hand. Let me know if it helps. icon_biggrin.gif

yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 9

i am sure you can come up with something. i saw an episode of ace of cakes where they used a record player to make a turn table out of and i have also seen them use the motor from a disco ball. i will ask my husband in a bit and he will probably have a good idea for you. if you have plenty of time, you might try buying on of those spinning displays like they use in department stores and stuff. not sure where you'd find one, you might have to do some looking but that would be perfect. or maybe the base form a large spinning christmas decoration or halloween decoration.

good luck! and definately let me know what you did and if it worked icon_smile.gif i love adding stuff like that to cakes! so far the only thing i've done along those lines is putting a light inside the top layer of a caslte cake. that was very time-consuming to figure out but sooo worth it

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 9

Dude, I'm doing some cleaning up and I just found my cache of fireworks I bought when I was passing through Missouri recently. icon_biggrin.gif I mean there's no m80's or even firecrackers but like those different colored smoke things and different colored of those snake things and mild mild stuff like that, sparklers, two feet long sparklers--hey I didn't get the 3 feet ones I have some restraint! (No not an overabundance.)

Plus I got cap guns and --- what exactly is wrong with me is there a name for this disease? Malignant overthinkit-itis?

So far I have done a winged creature flapping her wings as if emerging from her coccoon--and I've done lighted cake stands.

Let me loose in a second hand store by the record players, Oh god deliver me -- maybe I should get some cake orders to go with my explosives er I mean toys

-K8memphis Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 9

Who remembers these 'cakes' by a total non-caker--made it for their kid--one was a halloween street scene if memory serves and they also had a real flowery one where every freaking thing moved and twirled and popped out--they were jaw dropping spectacular--they had them on the internet and showed the process in pictures too--anybody remember those or know where they are?? They were true trail blazing pioneers to me in extreme cake construction.

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yamber82 Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 9

i remember the halloween street scene. i actually have the pics of it saved in my pc for ideas, lol.

-K8memphis Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 9

Yes! That's the Halloween one!
(That green thing inside the house still scares me too.)

Those folks are so crazy and so awesome.
All of Bartholomew Cubbins* hats off to them!

*Dr. Seuss' The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins

Suewillo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suewillo Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:17am
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone. Still trying to figure out how to do this. I bought a disco ball motor but I can't get the truck to sit level on it and there is nothing to attach a base on to sit the truck on to spin. Grrrrrrr keep the ideas coming if you don't mind. If I get it done I will post a pic.

Sue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%