Sculpted Lettering Cake Toppers

Decorating By kiraboo Updated 31 May 2009 , 3:56am by tonimarie

kiraboo Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 6

Can you guys please give me ny tips on creating those sculpted numbers/letters that you can top a cake with? I recently attempted one- a number 16 and it worked, but not without a little fixing after it broke. I used satin ice fondant and it's rather fragile and crumbly after it dries. I know there's something better, just don't know what yet, lol. Gumpaste? I have absolutely zero experience with it if so. Also, what do you use as supports to stick into the cake (I used wooden skewers)?

Forgive me if this has already recently been asked many times- I can't seem to type in the right things in the search engine.

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
Tellis12 Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 6

I would suggest a 50/50 combination of gumpaste and fondant. It should dry pretty hard but not crumbly. Wooden skewers should work fine, just make sure you stick them into the numbers/letters before they dry. If you need something smaller, you could try tooth picks.

jolie1977 Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 6

I just made a number 50 a couple weeks ago and had the same problem and questions. What I ended up doing is 50/50 (gumpaste and Wilton ready-made fondant). I dried my numbers on a wire rack and after a couple hours of drying, used wooden toothpicks to insert in numbers. I was worried about the toothpicks being able to withstand the weight of the sculptured numbers, but after 24 hours of drying on the wire racks, I inserted my numbers on the top of my cake and they were nice and solid. I only inserted the topper once the cake got to its destination, worried they might not be able to handle the bumpy ride to the reception area. But it worked! Hope this helps!

kiraboo Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 6

thanks for the advice! Now about the gumpaste- would you recommended the Wilton powdered stuff that you mix water with? I assume it's white and you color it the same way you do fondant?

mbt4955 Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 6

If you can find tylose, you can mix it with the fondant to make gumpaste. I've heard that you can also use gumtex, but I would think that it would take more than with the tylose. That might be a more affordable option if all you want the gumpaste for is to make the topper.

If you decide to with the Wilton powder, yes it is white and you color it just like you do fondant.

tonimarie Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:56am
post #6 of 6

I have did 2 the last couple weeks (they were firsts for me!) I cut a number one out of fondant/gumpaste. I rolled the fondant/gumpaste fairly thick like 1/4 inch thick cut out the number, then layed it on a cookie sheet and let it dry over night. The next day it was dry--not crumbly or brittle. then I attached a sucker stick to the back with melted chocolate (which sets up nice and quick!) then just push the sucker stick into the top of the cake and there you have it!

by the way I have used premade satin ice gumpaste and wilton powdered, and both work equally well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%