Where's The Honesty?

Decorating By SaraClassic Updated 26 May 2009 , 2:07pm by 7yyrt

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 26 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #31 of 37

I don't often leave comments because really, what can I say? If I am looking at your cake, you are proably more awesome than I am. I guess I could just keep posting awesome cake over and over. I would ask questions about how stuff is done, but I read somewhere that people don't like that because they don't always go back and see the comments. The one time when I really needed some ideas, I PM'd the lady who made the cake and she gave me lots of suggestions (how awesome is that? -- see awesome again).

Part of the problem is that people expect different things from the gallery. Some people are disappointed if they don't get lots of comments. Some are disappointed if they get comments and no favourites. Some are disappointed if they are marked favourites and not given a comment (but really, isn't being marked a favourite a comment in and of itself??). Some of us have slow computers and it takes FOREVER to put in a comment and wait for the darn picture to reload again. My favourite cake only has a few commments and maybe 6 favourites, yet after having it in my favourites for a year, I've only just recently seen another cake like it (http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1250534.html if you want to see it).

A lot of the time, when I look at the gallery, it is because I am looking for ideas for a specific cake -- e.g. an ocean cake, and I might look at 50 or 100 pictures (which takes a long time if you don't get instant downloads) and I just don't have time to comment on them all. I get the idea sometimes that some people see the gallery as a friendly little group where we are sharing our cakes with all our other cake friends, but it is so huge now that it is more like a research resource, and leaving a comment on every cake is sort of like being asked to rate every website that you check out when you do a google search. It's just too big now.

Anyway, just wanted to say that because I am someone who looks a lot but doesn't comment much. Of course, I also get frustrated with interesting posts that are 20 pages long but each page has one comment furthering the issue and 9 comments saying "yeah", "me too", "save", "ha ha". It takes me a minute or two just to download each page of comments. And that is WITH my high-ish-speed internet!!!

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:48am
post #32 of 37

[quote="Trixyinaz"]Sara -

You are already a Gallery Supporter, so go into the Gallery Supporter Forum and find the Critique Sub-group thread.

OK I really feel dumb, but when I go to the Gallery Supporter thing, all I see is everyone's name , and contact info etc.. Am I going to the wrong place to find the CSG thread?? ( obviously )

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 26 May 2009 , 1:50am
post #33 of 37

AHHH blonde moment over.... the keyword there is THREAD... go to the THREAD. Thanks so much I found it !

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 26 May 2009 , 4:35am
post #34 of 37

Because some people cannot handle the truth !! they'd rather be lied to !! just to make them happy although it is not the truth.. Honesty has always been taught while growing up, but some people think it is tacky to be too honest for they have thin skins or a bunch on wosses , and that knowing the truth will hurt their feelings.. I mean I have seen cakes that look like someone sat on it, but we are not allowed to say anything unless it is "NICEY NICEY " ONLY. Really we are all adults, why not tell the truth , go figurethumbsdown.gificon_cool.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 May 2009 , 5:21am
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantgrl

Because some people cannot handle the truth !! they'd rather be lied to !! just to make them happy although it is not the truth.. Honesty has always been taught while growing up, but some people think it is tacky to be too honest for they have thin skins or a bunch on wosses , and that knowing the truth will hurt their feelings.. I mean I have seen cakes that look like someone sat on it, but we are not allowed to say anything unless it is "NICEY NICEY " ONLY. Really we are all adults, why not tell the truth , go figurethumbsdown.gificon_cool.gif

Constructive Criticism is a combination of positive and negative comments which are based on how well the item up for criticism meets the standard... The opinions offered should be valid and well-reasoned, offering examples of what is and isn't correct.

Since the purpose of constructive criticism is not just to point out flaws but to teach how better to accomplish the goal/s; giving guidance/pointers is necessary to advance the critiqued item to the achievement of the standard.

And most importantly, the tone of the comments should be friendly and helpful not condescending or antagonistic. (You can't effectively teach and belittle someone at the same time.)

JMHO

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 May 2009 , 11:45am
post #36 of 37

Thanks for all the info! I think I figured it out from all the help!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #37 of 37

For those who keep saying 'we're all adults here'...
This is not an adult only site. We have many talented teens and younger here.

Yes, I've been an adult for many years but that gives you no excuse to insult me. If you tell me my cake looks like someone sat on it, I'm going to want to come feed it to you.
I put some of my cakes and cookies here because they're the best I can do at the time, and there's no one here who cares about that stuff. No they're not perfect, not even good most times; but believe me I already know they don't compare to some of the great ones on here. This site isn't for only the experienced decorators to share, it's for everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%