Different Ways Of Making Diamond Pattern On Fondant?

Decorating By julia77 Updated 10 Jan 2010 , 5:21am by Brendabeeper

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 25 May 2009 , 8:47am
post #1 of 8

I am having trouble getting hold of an impression mat or guide to make a diamond pattern on fondant (which I would then put silver cachous in the joins).

How do you make the diamond pattern?

Does anyone know of where I could get hold of one in Australia? Tasmania?

Thanks in advance for your help icon_smile.gif

7 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:05am
post #2 of 8

You could use the back side of one of you kitchen knives or an icing spreader and just push it into the side of the cake to make the impression.

But you would have to measure and make sure lines are even.

HTH...Miss Lizzy

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:39am
post #3 of 8

Hey Julia,

Try Blossom Sugar Art... the link shows a couple of rolling pins they have: they ship to Tassie too icon_biggrin.gif
http://blossomsugarart.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=12_64

Another site to check out is earlcraftncake - they also ship to Tassie:
http://www.earlcraftncake.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_10&products_id=733

HTH Kate icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:02am
post #4 of 8

For the top of the hat box cake in my pics I just copy/pasted a few of this diamond pattern onto a page and printed it on tracing paper. Then I lay the tracing paper on the cake and used my pastry bench scraper to mark the lines. Couldn't have been easier. And they have tons of other patterns. If you have a graphics program to manipulate the size to fit your cake, it's a helpful site.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 8

Cut a right triangle that is at least as tall as the tier you want to pattern out of cardstock. With a quilting wheel (or other impression tool) trace along the long side at even intervals around the cake (I measure and premark the intervals for the size of impression I want using a piece of string). Then flip the triangle in the other direction and go back around the cake.

I prefer this method to an impression mat because I can make the diamond pattern as small or as large as I like without having to have multiple mats. I can also have more control if I want to quilt just a small section (like a quilted inset), and there's never a problem with having the pattern match up in back, etc.

julia77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia77 Posted 26 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for your advice everyone! thumbs_up.gif

Scrumptious Creations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scrumptious Creations Posted 26 May 2009 , 6:26am
post #7 of 8

If your cake is 4" high you cut a triangle out of a piece of cardboard 4" by 4" by 4". Mark your cake on a cake divider how small you want your diamond pattern to be place the cardboard against the cake and line the cardboard against each mark and with a smooth tracing wheel follow the edge of the cardboard up and down the side of the cake once to the right and then to the left creating a quilting diamond pattern all the way around your cake. Hope that helps.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 10 Jan 2010 , 5:21am
post #8 of 8

ok everyone, I guess I am just a visual person which is probably why I love cc, so much visual pleasure. Does anyone have a video or photos of this technic they describe above?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%