Cake Boards

Decorating By Cricketina Updated 25 May 2009 , 1:20pm by Lori17201

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:39am
post #1 of 11

I need heavy duty Cake boards...I am venturing out to make tiered cakes I have mostly been doing reg cakes and cup cake sulptures...any way how do you make or where do you get a heavy duty cake board??? you all have such Nice ones posted and I need one soon for my Grandsons Super Mario 3 tiered Birthday cake !

Thanks Kindred sisters

10 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:46am
post #2 of 11

I go to my local lumberyard and have them cut me a square of 1/2 inch plywood. I just got a 14X14 and a 17X17 this week and it was $2.00 total. They don't have equipment to cut rounds for me, so if I need rounds I order masonite boards online. I cover all mine with freezer paper. HTH

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:48am
post #3 of 11

I would use the 1/2 inch foamcore board for a tiered cake. Its very sturdy. If you have a Hobby Lobby they carry it in the 20x30 sheets. Or I have ordered it off the internet but its a little more expensive with shipping!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:50am
post #4 of 11

Just curious and have a question pertaining to this thread.

What about using something like foam core? would it be stable enough to use on tiered cakes and light enough not to put extra weight on for transporting?

If so where would you find foam core? thanks

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:54am
post #5 of 11

I recently found a white frosted cutting board that holds my 12x18 size cakes. It has worked out great and cleans up perfectly. It is solid and doesn't have holes on the side. I found it at Walmart, really reasonably priced.

Vicki

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #6 of 11

Round I use masonite or a drum....but square I have differant sized ceramic tiles. I just print my name on all of them and include them in the parts list for return.

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:33am
post #7 of 11

I Love all your Ideas....you girls are awsome !!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:59am
post #8 of 11

I've always had my father make my cake board (the actual base of the cake) and cake stands. You can check my pictures for samples if you'd like. I ask him to use mdf and I think the other one is called melamine wood. He cuts it with whatever sixe I want then I clean it, let it dry and cover it with tons of plastic wrap and I always cover it with fondant to add some touches.

You can also but the premande cut rounds at home depot, Lowes or so. Just make sure you cover them.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:07pm
post #9 of 11

I always use the 1/2 inch foamcore board from Hobby Lobby. If you catch it on sale, it's only $2.50/sheet. Then there is nothing to return, they can just throw it away.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:05pm
post #10 of 11

That is where I buy it and n this week is 40% off coupon so I am goin to stock up! Reg price is 4.99 I believe! I always thought it would be with the regular styrof. but it is on the back wall with art supplies here!

Lori17201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lori17201 Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #11 of 11

I have 2 sizes of plywood that I cover with paper. More recently though I got self sticking shelf paper from the dollar store and stocked on the white and silver. I haven't made a round one yet but really need to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%