Can Someone Tell Me How This Is Done?

Decorating By sweet1122 Updated 25 May 2009 , 5:54pm by miny

sweet1122 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:14am
post #1 of 12

I'm trying to figure out how this cowboy silhouette effect is done? Do I have to be an artist to pull this off? Is there a special technique? I'm assuming the sunset is done by painting color onto crusted white BC, but can someone correct me if I'm wrong on that?

Thanks so much for your help!
LL

11 replies
tinygoose Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #2 of 12

I haven't tried the technique before but I think that is a FBCT, (frozen?)buttercream transfer. That would be my guess. I'm also guessing here, but the background looks like it is just smeared on with buttercream that hasn't been totally mixed, you could also airbrush it.

bananabread Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #3 of 12

maybe is made with chocolate

terrylee Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 12

FBCT or maybe chocolate melts......Love the sunset technique.....

SugarFrosted Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:30am
post #5 of 12

FBCT or overhead projector. I do that sort of thing freehand, though. The cacti and cow skulls look like they were done with melted chocolate or candymelts.

Love the sunset effect. I like how the borders are varigated too. Very pretty.

miny Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:46am
post #6 of 12

My guess is stenciled with chocolate buttercream

debster Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:57am
post #7 of 12

I've seen this done also with black fondant cut out.

amberlenee Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:57am
post #8 of 12

I think it is color flow, b/c if you look closely at the cactus, you can see and outline and then looks like it is filled in.

Sarsi Posted 25 May 2009 , 6:42am
post #9 of 12

I have a cake in my photos that has the same type of sunset effect, and yes, I did it with crusted white buttercream and then painted it with gel colors diluted in vodka... Use a very soft brush though, otherwise you end up putting dents in your buttercream!! In my photos, its the Africa Cake.. I also did the silhouettes freehand... but you could do a color flow. Would probably work the best!!

Rylan Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:50am
post #10 of 12

I'm sure the sunset can be done on a canvas by painting but not so sure about the cake. But as Sarsi said, she have done it so I guess that would be the way to go.

As for the silhouette, that can be done many ways. Stenciling, Cutout then airbrush (stenciling also), painting with a fine brush, etc. But the cactus looks like it has some type of texture. I really have no experience in colorflow so I would say it might be chocolate or some type of dark royal icing.

sweet1122 Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 12

Does anyone think it could possibly be an edible image? Its almost like the cowboy and horse image are level with the icing like an edible image would be. The catcus on the sides are not, so that I get. But the cowboy image is what gets me...

Thanks for all the help guys. I have some ideas to try.

miny Posted 25 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 12

There is that possibility, but edible images are very colorful, unless it's a special order. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%