I Think I Goofed It Up (Mmf)...

Decorating By erin_e Updated 25 May 2009 , 3:19am by yamber82

erin_e Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 5

Okay so I made my first ever batch of MMF (with the recipe here) but it doesn't seem right. The extra notes say that it takes a while to set up but it didn't seem like that when I got it out of my mixing bowl.

So here's what it was: I followed all the directions...greased everything like there was no tomorrow, melted the marshmallows, water and a bit of flavoring, mixed them into the sifted powdered sugar . I got everything mixed and it seemed to be going well until I was ready to wrap it in the plastic wrap. It was almost impossible to get out of the bowl! It also seemed like it it got really stiff really fast.

Is this what was supposed to happen? Was there something I maybe did wrong? I swear recently if it can be messed up it will happen. lol!
Any help would be amazing!

4 replies
chassidyg Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 5

Did you use a mixer or do it by hand? I just made mac's moms one a few days ago, and even though I forgot Vanilla, it came out okay. I used butter cooking spray & sprayed a huge plastic bowl, put marshmallows and water in, nuked for 1 minute, put in flavorings, and butter extract, sprayed a spoon & my hands with the butter cooking spray, and mixed in the powdered sugar, it took a lot more ps, but my kitchen was hotter then you know where, so I dont know if that had something to do with it or not. I wrapped it in crisco, and plastic wrap, and put it away till today, and it was great!

Elise87 Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:59am
post #3 of 5

it shouldn't be really stiff that fast so i dunno what happenef but i'll tell you what i do:

I melt the marshmallows in the bowl with the water and then add flavouring. I will then add icing sugar to the marshmallow mix until it is a very soft dough. Then i put a pile of icing sugar on my bench and put the dough out of the bowl onto that and knead the icing sugar pile into my dough (also scouping up some and putting it in the pile and kneading in). I then continue to do so until it is a soft to medium non sticky dough.

Did you add all the icing sugar it said to use? Because i don't use the exact amount they say and sometimes use less or more but by mixing the icing sugar in as you go on the bench you can just stop when you get it how you like and not over do it. Otherwise if it is in the a mixer, again don't add all the icing sugar at once just add a bit at a time until is gets right.

Anyways that is just what i do, HTH icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #4 of 5

The only time I screwed up MMF was when I overheated the marshmallows. I liquefied them, and it was a disaster.

yamber82 Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 5

that sounds really strange. i've made it a few times and it has turned out perfect every time except when i overloaded it with food color. if it is stiff than ad some more water 1/2 T at a time and work it in until it holds together and becomes more elastic. that should work. i think mmf is pretty fixable at that point. you ad more sugar if it's too wet or more water if it's too dry or shorteng etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%