Soon To Publish New Site - Cake Description Question

Business By aligotmatt Updated 25 May 2009 , 1:48am by indydebi

aligotmatt Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #1 of 4

My current website only gives me a one line description of my cakes in the photo gallery, so I just have them all named and that's it.

My new site is soon to be (SO EXCITED!!!) all I have to do is finish writing the descriptions of my cakes. I have 3 lines under each cake that I can have a description. It's kind of translucent and the viewer has the ability to turn off descriptions when viewing the gallery.

What I want most is to tell people whether the cake is fondant or buttercream (it's a frequent asked question for me), then a little bit more, like almost all of my cakes are 100% edible and people don't give me credit, they'll ask, where did you find that ceramic/clay figurine on that one cake? They are sculpted gumpaste and I want credit for it!!! icon_smile.gif

I will definitely NOT be putting prices on anything in the gallery, but I'm wondering if you all think it would be beneficial to put how many servings a particular cake served? I think it would save some of the "I loved that one cake, how much does it cost??" and then I say, "well, it serves 180 and costs XXX" and then they say they only need it to serve 30, and I'm like, well that's impossible and ridiculous...

My primary concern about having servings is that shoppers seem a bit dense at times and may think that design can ONLY serve that number of people, ya know?

All opinions welcome. any experiences you've had, positive or negative, about cake descriptions?

Thank You!!!

3 replies
aligotmatt Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:50am
post #2 of 4

re-reading I realize the last 2 paragraphs seem contradictory.

To clarify, I want people to see how many tiers is reasonable for the size party they are hosting, but not base the overall design on it. So, a 4 tier peach cake with bows can absolutely be made 2 tiers peach with bows to serve 30, but no 4 tier cake that I make will ever serve 30 people.

kylekaitlyn Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #3 of 4

I understand your dilemma. My suggestion would be to note the servings on the given picture, but also add that "similar designs can be made to accomodate xx - xxx" Of course - "Please call to discuss what we can do to meet the needs of your event."

indydebi Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:48am
post #4 of 4

A lot of what you are saying sounds like it can be a blanket statement at top of the page (all edible, for example).

On my flickr site, I have listed the cake sizes and added "....will serve XX as shown. Can be altered for larger or smaller events."

So perhaps a blanket statement at the top of the page such as, "All figures are edible fondant and/or gumpaste unless otherwise stated. Serving size represents the cake as shown ... most cakes can be adjusted larger or smaller for your event."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%