My First Big Wedding Cake And Disaster: I Am In Tears!!!

Decorating By moralna Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm by mombabytiger

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:36pm
post #31 of 40

First of all, that cake did nothing but improve that setting. Wow, looked like a scene from The Wedding Singer! And as for the cake, looked great! We all are too critical of ourselves. I always tell people if they want white, I cant do it. I can get it close, but unless they want me to leave out the butter, it will have some off white hue to it. Dont call the bride, if she is really ticked, you will hear from her. You did a great job!!!

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #32 of 40

Thanks to everyone for all of their support!!! I actually heard from the maid of honor that the cake was great and everyone enjoyed it. That made me feel so much better, but I have to say not as good as all of your encouragement!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:31am
post #33 of 40

Whew! What a relief that must have been to hear...I am glad you are feeling better about it now icon_smile.gif

I was wondering, seeing as I don't use a lot of buttercream on my cakes, can adding that Wilton white liquid stuff help the colour of yellowy buttercream become more whiter? Does anyone know?

turnerdmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turnerdmann Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:59am
post #34 of 40

OK you've heard that the cake was a success thumbs_up.gif Now take a deep breath and relax. In a month look back at the picture and I assure you it will look better to you. The cake is very pretty, you did a good job.

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

I was wondering, seeing as I don't use a lot of buttercream on my cakes, can adding that Wilton white liquid stuff help the colour of yellowy buttercream become more whiter? Does anyone know?

I'm not sure if I understand your question, so sorry if this is off the mark, but the clear vanilla extract (if that's what you mean) is for the pure white icing. (A frosting with Crisco, but no butter.)

As for the OP, you mentioned the bride and groom were nice people. That doesn't sound like they'd be likely to call up and yell at you for a slight crack somewhere on the cake. Heck, my top tier about fell over during my reception but I didn't really care. It was my wedding, and was about much more than the cake. (I hope that's not terrible to say on a cake site, but really, the marriage isn't doomed if the cake is bad, only if the couple is!) But anyways, the cake was pretty. I would have been happy with it.

thumbs_up.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:22am
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Whew! What a relief that must have been to hear...I am glad you are feeling better about it now icon_smile.gif

If you do not use butter in the recipe and use clear vanilla that will do it

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:43am
post #37 of 40

No...what I meant was the liquid white food colouring that Wilton makes ("Icing Color White-White"). Not clear artificial vanilla essence.

What I meant was, if you add the white-white colour to your butter-containing buttercream, does it make it whiter? It says on the bottle that it can be used to whiten buttercream, but I was just curious if any of you cakers had found this to be true in practice?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:50pm
post #38 of 40

You can add a teeny tiny amount of violet to offset the yellow and make it whiter.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:48pm
post #39 of 40

My very wise and experienced cake decorating mentor once told me, "A perfectionist cake decorator will not only be insane eventually, but will never finish anything." Your cake is lovely!

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:53pm
post #40 of 40

My very wise and experienced cake decorating mentor once told me, "A perfectionist cake decorator will not only be insane eventually, but will never finish anything." Your cake is lovely!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%