How To Candy Real Rose Petals - Or Can I?

Decorating By jenng1482 Updated 25 May 2009 , 12:23am by PinkZiab

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 5

HI everyone! I am making a birthday cake for my Grandma's 75th. I just had to dismantle a beautiful bouquet of flowers i received this week because some of them were looking pretty sad. The rose petals still have great color and are very flexible. Can i candy these to use on the cake? Thanks for your help

4 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 5

You could candy them and put them around the cake as decoration [ not to touch the cake ], but depending WHERE they came from and WHAT kind of pesticides they might have on them....unless you know for sure I would not put them ON the cake or eat them!

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 5

Personally, I wouldn't use real flowers on a cake unless I knew there was no chemical or pesticides on them. Good luck

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:18am
post #4 of 5

When I candied flowers for my wedding cake I brushed them with egg white, sprinkled sugar on them (quite a bit) shook of the excess then let them dry.
But don't worry I used flowers and ivy I had grown myself!

HTH
Ashley

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 May 2009 , 12:23am
post #5 of 5

As Ashyley said, you simply brush with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar (superfine sugar looks especially nice) and let them dry. But also as they others have said, I would NOT use the bouquet you have. You must only use roses that you KNOW have not been treated with any pesticides/chemicals. Roses are edible, but they should be purchased specifically for that purposes. Most restaurants and bakeries that serve edible flowers as garnish or candied/sugared for decoration get them from their food/produce purveyors because they are grown specifically for consumption.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%