Ganache In Fondant Covered Cakes?

Decorating By bbstephan Updated 25 May 2009 , 11:12am by grama_j

bbstephan Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 6

Do any of you put ganache in your fondant covered cakes? I read once that ganache can be at room temp for two days and will be fine and so I did a cake for a shower I hosted with ganache inside, covered in fondant and it was set out for two days. We ate it and it was great... I am now being asked by customers to do this and to date I have said no- only buttercream inside fondant cakes. Any advice?

Thanks!

5 replies
firelegs Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know the answer, but I am going to try ganache for the first time and was wondering how long I can keep it out at room temp before it goes bad? You mention 2 days, but that seems long...

JulyMama Posted 24 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 6

Read this thread it's very helpful, and I am actually making ganache for the first time tonight!
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-629106.html

bashini Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:33am
post #4 of 6

Hi, yes I have used it for few chocolate cakes. Its really great, because you can get a nice smooth surface for the fondant. I will be trying it with white chocolate in a few weeks time. icon_smile.gif

Bunsen Posted 25 May 2009 , 10:56am
post #5 of 6

If you are using the 2:1 ratio dark choc ganache i.e. 2 parts dark choc (at least 50% cocoa solids) to 1 part cream (make sure you boil the cream) it will keep for at least a week out of the fridge. I have used it in summer here (Australia) and it has been fine out of the fridge.

Basically this has a high sugar content, the cream is sterilised when you boil it and you don't whip it so you aren't adding in air which could contaminate. Whipped ganache and ones with less choc to cream ratio do not last as well out of the fridge.

The white chocolate version (3:1 ratio) is less stable - lots of people have problems with this.

Off ganache has a very bad smell so no one would eat it if it had turned.

grama_j Posted 25 May 2009 , 11:12am
post #6 of 6

I don't understand the question...... if you have already tried it, and you know it works, why are you hesitating to do it again ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%