Walmart/sam's Icing...how Do I Make It?

Decorating By KathysCC Updated 24 May 2009 , 6:34pm by bananabread

KathysCC Posted 24 May 2009 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 3

I've been to a couple of parties in the past few weeks. One had a cake from a local bakery and one had a Walmart cake. Don't laugh okay. icon_biggrin.gif I like the buttercream on the cakes! It was buttercream, not whipped icing but it was lighter and less greasy than mine and very creamy. It was not super sweet or even strongly flavored.

I'm almost certain that both are a premade icing like they sell at Sam's and I've read the threads about Sam's icing. I'm almost ready to go buy a bucket. But I'd really like to make it myself.

So, my question is this. If you are familiar with this premade bakery/Walmart/Sam's icing, do you also know of a homemade recipe that is similar? Have you compared the two?

I use a recipe that I got from local bakery that uses 1 cup of shortening per 1 pound of confectioner's sugar, like a lot of recipes here use. This recipe can also be make with half shortening and half butter which is tastier but gives me trouble with it sliding off the cake.

I thought my icing was smooth but I suspect that the premade icing may have a cooked sugar in it because it is so creamy without the slighest hint of graininess. Any ideas?

2 replies
CourtneysSweets Posted 24 May 2009 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 3

Not sure if it's bettercreme.. I would like to know also.

bananabread Posted 24 May 2009 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 3

chek in the wilton icing recipes, they have some there. or you can check in the internet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%