Wedding Cake Pros. Need Help With Kitchen Cake

Business By notjustcake Updated 24 May 2009 , 4:45pm by notjustcake

notjustcake Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 3

Hello, I have a question for those of you who are wedding cake professionals. I have been asked and accepted to be part of a big fundraiser dinner. Many popular restaurants (local ones) mostly, will be there famous caterers and myself, I will be the only dessert person there, we will all serve our own product and they let us decorate our table to promote our business. ( flyers, brochures and business cards)I saw this as an awesome opportunity to get some word of mouth. Since I will start my business next month. I have been asked to serve sheet cakes but have one dummy cake to display and later in the evening auction off as part of their silent auction fundraiser. I plan on making a mini wedding cake is 8",6",4" considered mini or do you think is too big? maybe 6",4",2"?

Also the most important queston is does anyone have a picture of wedding cake sheet cakes I can see, I have a pretty good idea how I want the sheet cakes so that when I cut it all the pieces look the same, I want them to look nice even when cut I want nobody to get a piece of cake with just white icing on top. I also learned different media, TV and newspaper will covering the event so I really need to impress.

I have not decided on flavors but I'm thinking since I will doube layering the sheet cakes, I can do one layer white and one layer chocolate and filled with something delicious.

This even is for 250 to 300 ppl. The invite went out and due to the economy they think less people will show from previous years so they will let me know on the final head count 2 weeks prior.
So if you have any ideas on marketing during the event, tips on how to look like a professional business and not taken as a home baker. My logo might not make it in time so I'm making marketing materials without it. icon_sad.gif

Any ideas on cake flavors?
Any pictures on awesome wedding cake sheet cakes?

I will be forever greatful!
Patty

2 replies
Mindy1975 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 3

This is just some ideas.......for flavors, I would defenitely do white, chocolate, and perhaps lemon? or perhaps red velvet? Those are my top selling flavors. Something you could do on the sheet cakes, is to evenly put a fondant rose, or buttercream type flower on top of the sheet cake where each piece will be cut, that way, there is a little something extra besides white icing on top of the piece. I also agree in double layer sheet cakes, that way they can try your fillings as well. and for 300 ppl., you would need about 3 double layer 12x18 sheets. And I think an 8,6,4 would be more impressive than the smaller to auction off. Just my two cents for ya!

notjustcake Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 3

Hey thanks for the added tip on the sheet cake sizes! I totally forgot about red velvet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%