Need Recommendations For Turntable???

Decorating By shantel575 Updated 10 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm by cylstrial

shantel575 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 17

I need a heavy duty turntable to use when decorating large wedding cakes... i bought the professional (big) wilton one (since I didn't have to order it online) but I hated it and promptly returned it to the store (it WOBBLES! hello?! icon_confused.gif )

so I thought I'd come here and inquire before blindly ordering one off the internet with the risk of not being happy with whatever I choose......

so any recommendations? icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
Shantel

16 replies
artscallion Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 17

Not to hijack your thread...but assuming the cake in your avatar is yours, folks are asking how-to questions about it in this thread... http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6400675.html#6400675

cherrycakes Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #3 of 17

I just tried my new Fat Daddios (cast iron base) on the weekend and I love it!! I couldn't stop playing with it while my cake was on it! The cake board was 19 inches and the turntable held it up perfectly!

peg818 Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:34am
post #4 of 17

I had 4 tiers on my fat daddios this weekend and no problems at all

shantel575 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:51am
post #5 of 17

haha, the alerts must not be working because I didn't even know anyone replied to this post! so thanks for the responses! I posted a response on the thread about my black/white topsy cake.

sounds like fat daddio's is the way to go for a turntable... thanks so much!

tiggy2 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 17

I also have the Fat Daddio heavy duty turntable and I love it!

noyhoward Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:30pm
post #7 of 17

I have wilton for my small cakes but for my big cake my husband made mine.One side fits a full sheet cake & still have room & on the other side is for my round cake,it's a little bigger than 18".It comes in handy b/c I do a lot of sheet cake not so much of big round cakes.

Kimmers971 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 17

I just bought the Wilton tiltable and haven't used it yet. Is this the one that you hate? I don't do very large cakes, 3 tiers at the most but mainly 2 and smaller. I don't want to keep it if it is a piece of garbage.

Thanks!

nefcook21 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 17

I have had 2 wilton turntables and got rid of both of them. I had just the small one then decided to buy the "professional" one and hated it. I finally bought a Fat Daddios cast iron one and absolutly love it! Best investment I've made so far!

Rose-Lynn Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 17

For Christmas last year, my family got me a 16" marble lazy susan. It's perfect for large cakes as well as sheet cakes, doesn't wobble or anything. And while at a Kitchen Aid outlet I found a matching 12" one that I purchased for smaller cakes and to use all the time at the dining table. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Rose-Lynn

tiggy2 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 17

I've heard horror stories about the Wilton tilting turntable. If you do a search you will find several threads on it. I had the Wilton heavy duty and it is very wobbly.

shantel575 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmers971

I just bought the Wilton tiltable and haven't used it yet. Is this the one that you hate? I don't do very large cakes, 3 tiers at the most but mainly 2 and smaller. I don't want to keep it if it is a piece of garbage.

Thanks!

Kim the small white wilton turntable works fine for regular cakes (smaller cakes) but I needed something for very large (HEAVY) wedding cakes and the wilton professional turntable (it's metal) is AWFUL! It wobbles!

I'm thrilled to hear the fat daddio's testimonials here because that's what I ordered last night! It was on sale for $50!

chefjess819 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 17

yeah, the wilton's trim and turn table is a rip off. i got one (my first turntable) and it didnt squeak...it HONKED! every turn it made, it honked like i had a goose in the house! i took it back and got my money back on it. going to try to find a better one.

SugarFrosted Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #14 of 17

I have an 18" wooden lazy susan that I bought at Sam's a couple of years ago. I think it was less than$20. I also have a 22" lazy susan that I found at a thrift store for $4. Both are very heavy, don't wobble and are worth their weight in gold.

I created my own tilting turntable using the wilton trim'n'turn (not good for anything else so why not?) a 3"ring binder and some of that grippy shelf liner stuff everyone uses now. It sits atop my 18" lazy susan. Here's a pic of that.
LL

shantel575 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 17

some of these big wedding cakes are so heavy I'm afraid to use anything other than a professional cake turntable so I'm glad I finally ordered a good one. The small white wilton ones work fine for smaller cakes (for me). I have 2 of those and have used them for 3+ years without any issues (for small cakes)

havingfun Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:44pm
post #16 of 17

I made a turntable from stuff I bought at Lowe's. They sell the smoothest rolling ball bearing works! I just attached it to a 1/2", 18" round piece of plywood. Love it! I have add 55#s of cake on it and it just turns like silk.

SugarFrosted, that is one cool idea!! BTW, LOVE Wallace and Grommit. Have to eat me some cheese and crackers and watch A Grand Day Out!!

cylstrial Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 17

I'm glad you started this thread. I have been wanting to get a new turn table and didn't know which kind to buy either. It sounds like I need to check out Fat Daddio's turn tables!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%