How Do I Make The Brim On A Baseball Cap?

Decorating By msdmom Updated 25 May 2009 , 4:10pm by TamiAZ

msdmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdmom Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 7

HI.....I am hoping someone can help me ...I would like to know how to make the brim on a baseball cap ....I need to do this for a cake on June 6th.....I think I can handle the part of the hat that would go on the head i just need the brim....Thanks...

6 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 7

I never made one, but I think you could use thick fondant or gumpaste, cut to shape and made ahead of time so it could dry. If you wanted the brim to arc up in the middle, you could let it dry on something curved to the desired shape.

MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 7

The best result I've seen was achieved by rolling out some thick fondant, cutting it to the right shape, then covering a real hat brim with several layers of plastic wrap, then laying the fondant on the brim so it would dry with the proper curve.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMabe

The best result I've seen was achieved by rolling out some thick fondant, cutting it to the right shape, then covering a real hat brim with several layers of plastic wrap, then laying the fondant on the brim so it would dry with the proper curve.

Good idea, thanks! thumbs_up.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:23pm
post #5 of 7

Got ya covered! No pun intended! Made a cap last week and ran in this same problem.
Here ya go:

Print out the template on card stock in an 8x10 size and cut it out.
Roll out your gumpaste to a medium thickness, cut out the brim.
Take your paper template, (you can also use a plastic stencil for a permanent template) roll it into a loose roll then let it unroll. You want it to be curved like a real brim,.
Lay the cutout on the template to dry.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1369700

If you have any questions just give me a holler!

msdmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msdmom Posted 25 May 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 7

thanks everyone for all of your help...

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 7

I've made a ball cap and I took my dd's hat and covered it with saran wrap...I then put the saran wrap on the hat to get the right size and shape. It worked really well.

Here's a picture. I liked how the hat came out, but the rest of the cake was blah. I ran short on time and had to finish up quickly.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%