The 3 B's - What's The Difference??

Decorating By lat1nacurv3s Updated 25 May 2009 , 2:17am by lat1nacurv3s

lat1nacurv3s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lat1nacurv3s Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:32am
post #1 of 10

Buttercream from scratch vs.
BEttercream vs.
But-R-Cream

Sorry, I know there's a large post about everything buttercream...but I just needed a lil clarification from you pros. Since I'm still totally new at this, barely torted, filled and stacked a 2 layer 9" cake for the first time today..YUPI!!

I found out that the Sam's over by my house would sale me a 28.5lb bucket for $34 of Vanilla But-R-Cream. I figured what the heck. If anything it's money well spent on saving time, and practicing decorating. I added 1/2 to 3/4 cup chocolate syrup though to 3 cups of But-R-Cream and noticed that the textured changed to a creamer one. So I wasn't able to get it to set like I see in cakes that seem to come out very smooth. You could see where I had spread the frosting, hmph.

Is this supposed to be expected to happen?
Is it cheaper going this route (buying already prepared bc)?
And does one of the 3 B's taste better than another?

Thanks!!!

9 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 May 2009 , 6:52am
post #2 of 10

Yeah, this is one of those subjects that can turn into a heated discussion, but here goes -

BUT-R-Cream is a brand name, and the product is a pre-made icing with confectioner's sugar and shortening as it's main ingredients. Some folks replace some or all of the shortening with butter when they make it from scratch. Many people swear by it, some hate it - there's almost no middle ground. In the professional world, the preference of the customer base in your area will determine if you should use this or make a meringue-based icing. Whether from the bucket or from scratch, this icing is very sweet, crusts, and holds up to heat. Also known as American Buttercream. Since you bought a pre-made icing, it is more than likely a medium consistency. Adding the liquid chocolate syrup to it made it thinner. You would have been better off adding about 4 squares of melted, cooled to still liquid but not hot, unsweetened chocolate. When making it from scratch, you can add cocoa powder with the powdered sugar.

Buttercream - what some folks call the above. What I call Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue icings. This is a very smooth icing, as the sugar is melted completely, as opposed to above, which when you eat it, you can feel the grit of the sugar on your teeth. Pros - smoothness, less sweet. Cons - not good in heat. Some people have difficulty piping decorations with it.

Bettercreme - a chemical-based hydrocolloid that starts out as a cold liquid, then, as it is whipped and warms up, turns into icing. Pros - very stable in hot weather, easy to pipe. Cons - takes practice in whipping it up, some places only sell the large container, which is entirely too much for most people.

About cost - if you prefer to use the sweeter icing, I suggest that you make up a batch and calculate the cost, then divide the cost by the weight. The But-R-Cream you bought came out to $1.20 per pound. I think it would be cheaper to make it but let's ask the experts.

Anyone out there ever compare the cost of this, to scratch?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:09am
post #3 of 10

Just what Theresa said. icon_biggrin.gif

However, the product name of the 3rd item you listed is But-R-Creme which is sold by Dawn Food Products (and available along with prewhipped
Rich's Bettercreme at most Sam's Clubs).

Here's a list of But-R-Creme products from Dawn:
(Don't know if the Sam's Clubs carry more than chocolate and vanilla icings.)

http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Dynamic/Products/ProductsCategory2.asp?cat0=17&cat1=46&PTid=2

Product info from Rich's on Bettercreme and more:

http://www.dawnfoods.com/Public/Dynamic/Products/ProductsCategory2.asp?cat0=17&cat1=46&PTid=2

HTH

lat1nacurv3s Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Yeah, this is one of those subjects that can turn into a heated discussion, but here goes -

BUT-R-Cream is a brand name, and the product is a pre-made icing with confectioner's sugar and shortening as it's main ingredients. Some folks replace some or all of the shortening with butter when they make it from scratch. Many people swear by it, some hate it - there's almost no middle ground. In the professional world, the preference of the customer base in your area will determine if you should use this or make a meringue-based icing. Whether from the bucket or from scratch, this icing is very sweet, crusts, and holds up to heat. Also known as American Buttercream. Since you bought a pre-made icing, it is more than likely a medium consistency. Adding the liquid chocolate syrup to it made it thinner. You would have been better off adding about 4 squares of melted, cooled to still liquid but not hot, unsweetened chocolate. When making it from scratch, you can add cocoa powder with the powdered sugar.

Buttercream - what some folks call the above. What I call Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue icings. This is a very smooth icing, as the sugar is melted completely, as opposed to above, which when you eat it, you can feel the grit of the sugar on your teeth. Pros - smoothness, less sweet. Cons - not good in heat. Some people have difficulty piping decorations with it.

Bettercreme - a chemical-based hydrocolloid that starts out as a cold liquid, then, as it is whipped and warms up, turns into icing. Pros - very stable in hot weather, easy to pipe. Cons - takes practice in whipping it up, some places only sell the large container, which is entirely too much for most people.

About cost - if you prefer to use the sweeter icing, I suggest that you make up a batch and calculate the cost, then divide the cost by the weight. The But-R-Cream you bought came out to $1.20 per pound. I think it would be cheaper to make it but let's ask the experts.

Anyone out there ever compare the cost of this, to scratch?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AWW! Okay, very good tip about the chocolate squares! I have some chocolate squares so I'm def going to give that one a try. And also thank you for pros and cons for each "B". I live in Texas and we get a lot of heat out here. So it's good to know opinions about the melt factor on different type of buttercreams.

Also, I do have a recipe with meringue powder that I think is good. I haven't tried any other recipe's yet.... I know there are several variations. And it's not the Swiss or the Italian one you mentioned. But it is from scratch, here's the recipe for reference (it makes 2lbs):

2lb powdered sugar
4 TBS meringue poweder
2 cups Crisco (or 1 cup Crisco/1 cup HRS)
1/2 tsp white table salt dissolved in liquid
Flavoring: 2 tsp clear Vanilla extract, 2 tsp Almond extract and 2 tsp Butter extract
Then add water to bring total liquid to 1/2 cup

So I would need to calculate just how much it would cost me to make this and then times it to equal 28.5lbs to find out just how much I save or not. I didn't realize how important it is to know MATH in baking! LOL But it really does make a lOt more sense to me now.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

And yes, anybody else know if it's cheaper to make from scratch or buy prepared buttercream??

lat1nacurv3s Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Just what Theresa said. icon_biggrin.gif

However, the product name of the 3rd item you listed is But-R-Creme which is sold by Dawn Food Products (and available along with prewhipped
Rich's Bettercreme at most Sam's Clubs).

Here's a list of But-R-Creme products from Dawn:
(Don't know if the Sam's Clubs carry more than chocolate and vanilla icings.)

Product info from Rich's on Bettercreme and more:

HTH

Thank you for the links! I did check it out but they don't list prices. And ya know, I didn't even ask the lady at Sam's if they had more than one type of prepared BC to sale. I've read a lot on here about Rich's Bettercream but I haven't ever tasted it....that I know of. LOL I'm saying because I buy cakes from Sam's (USED TO BUY I SHOULD SAY LOL) from them all of the time.

Speaking frank, because I am using doctored up cake mixes I want to be able to provide the very best taste in frostings and fillings. Even if it means to make it from scratch. So far what I've made ppl have craved more of. However, up until now I've only been toping my cuppies with flavored cream cheese frostings. And now I'm venturing over to cakes and buttercream to provide a wider ranger of goodies.

WOW! I have so mUch to learn....

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 10

In my opinion there is nothing like buttercream with real butter. I use salted butter and crisco (equal amounts) and the salt cuts the sweetness. My customers love it and I know that's what sells my cakes.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 10

Just fyi--I use Dawn's but I buy the 45 lb. cases. It is not pre-mixed. I add vanilla extract, butter extract, and water. I haven't sat down to figure out the exact math but I'm pretty sure it's worked out to be quite a bit cheaper, not to mention the lack of mess and powdered sugar all over me, all the time. It holds up well in heat and crusts. I've used the bucket once of the premade. It comes in a pretty thick consistency. I wouldn't say medium. Remember you can use it as a base and add your own touches. I used to add choc. syrup but now I just buy Dawn's chocolate But-R-Creme.

People around here absolutely love my icing. I personally think it's adding the butter extract. It's nice and smooth, too. Whenever I make a batch of scratch icing it's like a mouthful of (sweet) sand to me now, just too gritty.

Oh--and I used to buy from Sam's but they all closed in Canada so I buy directly from Dawn Foods now...and pay more!!!

HTH

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 10

alanaj, would that be the cake icing base then that you use? Is it liquid and you still have to add water? I'm really interested in Dawn brand but just want to know a little bit more about it. icon_smile.gif

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 25 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #9 of 10

GrandmaG yes, it's the cake icing base. I think it only comes in white and choc and is their only icing in a 45 lb case. It's actually in a solid form. You have to add water and/or extracts to thin it down. I go through mine fast but it's got a great shelf life. If you use Sugar Shack's tips and fill your mixing bowl up above your paddle while mixing it ends up pretty airless too. I'm not a big icing fan at all and I have to say I really like it. Dawn says the stuff premixed in the pail is exactly the same but I've tasted both and disagree. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help!

Alana

lat1nacurv3s Posted 25 May 2009 , 2:17am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj

Just fyi--I use Dawn's but I buy the 45 lb. cases. It is not pre-mixed. I add vanilla extract, butter extract, and water. I haven't sat down to figure out the exact math but I'm pretty sure it's worked out to be quite a bit cheaper, not to mention the lack of mess and powdered sugar all over me, all the time. It holds up well in heat and crusts. I've used the bucket once of the premade. It comes in a pretty thick consistency. I wouldn't say medium. Remember you can use it as a base and add your own touches. I used to add choc. syrup but now I just buy Dawn's chocolate But-R-Creme.

People around here absolutely love my icing. I personally think it's adding the butter extract. It's nice and smooth, too. Whenever I make a batch of scratch icing it's like a mouthful of (sweet) sand to me now, just too gritty.

Oh--and I used to buy from Sam's but they all closed in Canada so I buy directly from Dawn Foods now...and pay more!!!

HTH

I don't know what the brand is because the bucket says manufactured for WALMART, hmph! But it's vanilla flavored, and has a great consistency. I guess what I could do is add a bit of almond and butter extract to make it "unique". teehee Right now I'm so frosted out my tummy hurts from all the taste testing I've been doing...not to mention the damage it's probably doing on my hips and thighs!! ahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%