Carrying A Wedding Cake In One Trip

Decorating By indydebi Updated 24 May 2009 , 2:04pm by cas17

indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:27am
post #1 of 11

Previous threads have asked the question about how cakes can be transported, and one suggestion I've given is to get an 18x26 baking sheet to carry a non-assembled cake (works good for assembled cakes, too).

Today I remembered to get a photo to share, showing one of these trays and how much space is on it. (this is the Pink Daisy cake .... ribbon and flowers were added after assembly.)

The photo below has a strip of non-skid material on it and room for a 6", 10" and 12" cake ... the 12" cake is on a 14" round.

This tray, with the non-skid material, keeps the cakes nice and secure during travel. For add'l security, I sometimes lay a piece of non-skid on the floor of the van, then set the tray on top of that.

I can pick up the tray and carry in the entire cake in one trip. My tools and equipment is in a carrier with a handle that I can slip over my finger to carry.

I've learned to carry the tray on one shoulder (like a well experienced waiter!) and open the door to the venue myself.

I've found that even when I pre-stack a cake, I prefer to transport on this tray. It's a nice sturdy base, with even weight distribution, making it easy to carry and balance.

Just fyi!! thumbs_up.gif
LL

10 replies
Rylan Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:34am
post #2 of 11

Nice idea, I would have never thought of carrying it all at once.

underthesun Posted 24 May 2009 , 9:59am
post #4 of 11

Always take notes, when you're giving advice, but first time I've visited your Flckr site. Great cakes! Incredible catering business. Thanks for the transport tips!! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:49am
post #5 of 11

Wow yeah perfect icing job.

Kerry_Kake Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:50am
post #6 of 11

Thanks indydebi for sharing! I checked out the step by step and seen the final cake, cute cake! What did you use in the center of the top tier to give the flowers height? Did you just dollop some buttercream?

cakedesigner59 Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks for sharing! You're da bomb! icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:29pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the info Indy! Your cake turned out so cute with the little flowers and ribbon!!

Minstrelmiss Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 11

As I understand it, this is the same cake that you forgot about, right?

So you are saying that not only did you whip it up, frost, and decorate...but had the piece of mind to take pictures of assembly process for the benefit of all us CCers!!??!! You are one crafty, incredible lady Indy!

Our hats off to you and thanks for the tip! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

Thanks indydebi for sharing! I checked out the step by step and seen the final cake, cute cake! What did you use in the center of the top tier to give the flowers height? Did you just dollop some buttercream?

Yep! Just a big blop of buttercream!

Quote:
Quote:

As I understand it, this is the same cake that you forgot about, right?

yeah, this is the one. I'm just glad it was a simple cake. icon_smile.gif

cas17 Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #11 of 11

hmmm great idea, thanks for sharing!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%