Board For The Bottom Of The Cake ???

Decorating By kelbear Updated 24 May 2009 , 7:33am by CakeDiosa

kelbear Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #1 of 5

I am doing a 2 tier cake for a friend of a friends parents anniversary party. It will be 2 layer 14 inch cake on the bottom and a 2 layer 10 inch on the top - so it will be fairly heavy. Any time i have done a cake 2 or more tiers i have always transported them. I usually use one of the thicker cake boards on the bottom but while transporting we always put it on a sheet of plywood that fits into my trunk or goes into the back of the jeep. I can not find a box that will fit the cake either as it will be higher than the deepest box i can find.
Due to the time they need the cake i am unable to deliver it to where they need it (about a 20 minute drive away) so they said that i can deliver it to them the night before and they will transport it to the location they need the cake.
How would you recommend that they do this? Should i leave them the sheet of plywood and tell them they need to return it to me the next day or do i just let them know that its heavy and recommend they find a piece of plywood to support it for the drive. It will be a simple fondant cake with some silver balls on it so i dont have to worry about buttercream getting squished.
Any help would be appreciated.

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:11am
post #2 of 5

I think I'd leave the sheet of plywood with them just to be on the safe side. You could ask for a deposit on it but if they're friends of yours they might get insulted by that.

Rylan Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:17am
post #3 of 5

I totally agree with rose! TOTALLY!

Briarview Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:06am
post #4 of 5

I have three wooden plywood boxes with two handle holes on either side (18" x 20" and 12" high) and place a grip mat under the board that the cake is sitting on. Great for carrying the cake in and should I have to travel some distance I have bought silver sun shields that you put inside your windscreen to keep out the sun and attach them around the box with those sticky dots and then peg a cloth across the top so the cake is completely covered. Usually the biggest board I use is a 18" (under a 14" cake) and you still have room for your fingers at two of the sides to lift out. I also loan them to brides if they want to collect the cake. The most I deliver cake to is an hour away. I do not ask for a bond and to date luckily they have always been returned. You only have to make the boxes and then you are setup and there is no need to worry about searching for boxes deep enough.

CakeDiosa Posted 24 May 2009 , 7:33am
post #5 of 5

I found some good size boxes at Uhaul for $3.99 each. I think it was 18" x 18" x 24" tall and that was one of their smaller boxes. Split it down two edges, slide your cake in and tape it back up. Works well for me.

good luck!

Oh, and yes, leave them the board. You'd hate to have your work damaged before other potential customers can see it... oh, and of course then there's the whole "before they can eat it" thing....

Quote by @%username% on %date%