What's Your Favorite Smoothing Technique For Buttercream?

Decorating By meomy Updated 24 May 2009 , 4:59pm by lecrn

meomy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meomy Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:46am
post #1 of 27

Just a question to all you seasoned decorators. What is your favorite smoothing technique for crusting buttercream? I use the Viva method on my cakes.

26 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:04am
post #2 of 27

Ever since I discovered Melvira, I've used nothing else. Take away my Melvira roller and you've just shut me down! icon_biggrin.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:10am
post #3 of 27

Ok, I don't do a ton of buttercream cakes...maybe a dumb question - what's the Melvira roller? something she uses/makes/sells??

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:26am
post #4 of 27

Check out the articles on CC for more on the Melvira roller technique. It uses a foam paint roller to smooth the fondant...

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:32am
post #5 of 27

I use the roller too...I LOVE IT. To me is the best and easiest way to smooth out the buttercream frosting.

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 24 May 2009 , 5:33am
post #6 of 27

I too use the viva paper towel method but I've noticed that the towels have a slight impression on them. If I have a perfect batch of buttercream (which is almost never) I can can use my bench scraper and it works just fine. I' m looking for better ways to smooth out the bc too, I think it all starts with the finished buttercream, if you have a smooth airless buttercream in the end...you don't have to work so hard at smoothing. I'm in the bunch that rarely gets airless smooth buttercream.

I gotta check out the Melvira technique

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 27

I'm not a seasoned decorator, but so far I've used the viva paper towel method. I will be trying the Melvira method....I have the roller ready to be used! icon_smile.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:18pm
post #8 of 27

copy paper works great too!

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #9 of 27

I was a die hard fan of the hot water/spatula technique. (I first learned it from Wilton in the 80's) When I first read about the Melvira method, I thought... sure whatever. Well, then I tried it. No other way for me now!

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 27

For the Melvira method, are we talking about the girl that's on here called Melvira? Did she make up this method? And is it a special kind of foam roller? I want to try this considering Canada does not have Viva brand.

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 27

how do you get airless buttercream!! Please enlighten. I almost always have holes on my cakes b/c of the air!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 27

I do not make a crusting buttercream, so the Melvira/Viva towel method doesn't work for me. I use the hot water & spatula/benchscraper way, or I'll make the cake textured somehow.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:53pm
post #13 of 27

I have done both Melvira and Viva. I loves the roller but then mine started not to roll anymore and I never took the time to go buy another one. So now I use viva only but know that the roller works great!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:07pm
post #14 of 27

Kerry_Kake, the roller method is using a high density foam paint roller that you get at a paint store like Sherwin Williams. Specifically a high density roller. You can pm Melvira who's a member on CC and she can link you to instructions.....actually, I think there's a write up of it already in the 'how to' section of the home page. Scroll to the very bottom under the pictures.....
cjshoemake, the airless comes from having your mixer full of icing so that the paddle can't pull air into the mixing. You can pm sugarshack, it's her technique.
For both of you: Sugarshack has an unbelievable DVD "Perfecting The Art of Buttercream" (or something close to that title) on step by step buttercream making, applying, and smoothing. It's just wonderful! thumbs_up.gif
hth

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:13pm
post #15 of 27

Debi, do you use your wedding cake icing with Mel's method? I'm a die hard fan of your icing, the only icing I will eat besides bettercreme! Ive gotta try Mel's way, she'll kick my butt if I don't lol. But after ending up in tears the other night because I couldnt get smooth icing I gotta figure something out!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #16 of 27

I used to use the viva method until I started working at a bakery. It's a hot/wet spatula for me now. Love the technique. Leaves the cakes with crisp clean edges.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #17 of 27

I love the roller. But, I have a question. I wash it with soap and water. How do you clean it?

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:34pm
post #18 of 27

I have been wanting to try the roller so I think I'll go after work and pick one up, I need all the help I can get on the big 5 tier wedding cake I have for the 13th. I also have a baby shower cake that day so I will be busy. ( Hobby baker, so not really intune to all this at once). Yikes!! That's gonna be a lot of buttercream icing too!!! Better start getting my ingredients now. LOL..

indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #19 of 27

Yes, I use my wedding cake icing with it. And I wash the rollers with soap and water. Be sure to let them dry COMPLETELY before using them again.

butterfly831915 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:40pm
post #21 of 27

Indydebi--may I ask what your wedding cake icing recipe is? Your other is great so I would love to try any of your recipes.

indydebi Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly831915

Indydebi--may I ask what your wedding cake icing recipe is? Your other is great so I would love to try any of your recipes.

I only use one icing recipe for everything. I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke, dont' fix it".

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:02pm
post #23 of 27

Thanks Debi! I'm going to have to search for a roller today!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:17pm
post #24 of 27

Butterfly--thanks for posting the link. I am printing it out now. IndyDebi--I love your icing recipe!!!!

butterfly831915 Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:28pm
post #25 of 27

Indydebi--I was going to say--how can you improve that recipe but I figured being you, you'd found or came up with something. Thanks...

aquamom--you're welcome!! Glad to help...

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #26 of 27

Since I bought SugarShack's video I always try to use her recipe, and smoothing method, because I like it a lot and I think it is great, Also for all you people who needs to make airless icing check out Sharon's video on youtube she shows you how to make her buttercream and since I started making it my icing is perfect, also Indydebi's icing recipe is great I tried it many times before, when you go on youtube look for SugarEd Productions

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:59pm
post #27 of 27

I second Sugarshack's DVD. It's truly worth it's wgt in gold!
I find that my cakes are getting much smoother with practice using her techniques (hot spatula, bench scraper, Viva, & computer paper)
The only difference of techniques that I use from hers is that I use the icing tip for the sides of my cake. It's just a lot faster for me & I can get an even coat easier.
I used to use the roller on my cakes, but I got a lot of roller marks. I guess my bc is a little soft for the roller.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%