Figuring The Size Of My Characters...

Decorating By dennettesdelectables Updated 28 May 2009 , 11:03am by umgrzfn

dennettesdelectables Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:36am
post #1 of 10

Here's the basic info...I am hosting a Passion Party and want to do a cake. Basic idea is make a sheet cake, and do a headboard and footboard, to make it look like a bed. Man and woman under covers, w/ a few "toys" laying on top of the blanket...
I am doing a sheet cake (12x1icon_cool.gif I guess it's considered a large half sheet...
So my question is....
to what scale do I need to make these figures??
And, if any of you have any tips on how to make the headboard and footboard and the bed just look raised, anything helps...

I really want this cake to turn out great, but I am thinking with 2 weeks till my party I may be overduing the overall idea, maybe I need to go a little simpler!

9 replies
TexasSugar Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:40am
post #2 of 10

Take the pan out and use that as your guide line. You can even draw some cardboard stencils for the headboard and foot board to help give you an idea for those as well. Make a figure and lay it on the cake pan to see if you need to make it bigger or smaller.

For the headboard/footboard you can either do chocolate, cookie, or a royal icing/color flow transfer. You can also cut it out of gumpaste too. Really almost any way you want to do it.

To do the raised look, I'd use some support under your cake board in a smaller shape, such as Styrofoam cut to a 13x9 shape. You can place this under the cake to elevate it, but still remain hiden.

umgrzfn Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:56am
post #3 of 10

I definately agree with the styrofoam! Also to keep it hidden, I would put a "bedskirt" around the bed. Sounds like a fun cake! Good luck with your cake and party!

cylstrial Posted 24 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 10

That sounds super cute. I was thinking that you might even be able to do a little piece of cake instead of the styrofoam. Like if you used a 9x13 and carved off what you don't need. And then there's extra cake. Just a thought. =o)

dennettesdelectables Posted 27 May 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 10
Originally Posted by umgrzfn

I definately agree with the styrofoam! Also to keep it hidden, I would put a "bedskirt" around the bed. Sounds like a fun cake! Good luck with your cake and party!

which one do you think would give better support....regualr styro or floral foam? also, do you think I should add a few cake boards to make the base of the bed,Under the cake, a little more sturdy? I think it might look more like a floating bed that way

also, thanks for the advice, I have decided just to use a barbie, my husband just left to go out of town, will be back monday for my wilton class, and then leaves again until my babysitter has flown the coup,and the easier I make this cake, the less stressed I will be, and I don't think the barbie takes away from it too much, I have something cute and sexy in mind to incorporate her well!!

Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #6 of 10

So you are trying to say that there are are little kids playing with their toys right?

dennettesdelectables Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:30am
post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by RylanTy

So you are trying to say that there are are little kids playing with their toys right?

not exactly...the barbie is going to be naked(say another cake like that in the naughty cakes gallery) under the covers w/ a cigarette in her hand, and scattered on top of the covers will be "naughty" toys...

I think it is going to be easier just to use a barbie instead of trying to model the figures myself....i have so many other things on the books and since my DH is out of town for work the easier I make this cake the happier I will be...

Rylan Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:55am
post #8 of 10

Oh... adult toys. I thought you were reffering to little kids playing with their toy toys

sheilabelle Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:52am
post #9 of 10

I just bought the "Over the Hill" cake pan from Wilton. On the paper insert they showed how they used that with chocolate to make a head and foot board on a bed. It looks really cool. This is a link to the pan. It doesn't show the bed, but maybe it will give you the idea.
They made a damn and then fill the top half of the with chocolate.

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:03am
post #10 of 10

Either one should be fine. I personally don't like using the green crumbly stuff, I like the white "stuff". You definately could use a couple of cake boards. What I would do is a heavier piece of wood, cut to the size you need it (Lowes, Home Depot, should only be a few dollars), cover it with fancy foil or fondant, glue the styro (or whatever you choose to use) to it, and voila. That's how I would do it. My husband bought me a round "cake board" from Lowes that will hold a 14" cake. It's about 1/2 inch thick and I use it for stacked cakes. You probably wouldn't need something that thick or big, but just to give you an idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%