Does Anyone Know How To Make This Kind Of Cake??

Decorating By kathy777 Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 1:30am by shantel575

kathy777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy777 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 25

I want to make a cake that kind of looks like this one but i have no clue how to .. I am assuming that its 3 square cakes and in the middle of the cakes making them off center is a wedge of some sort.. Does anyone know what kind of wedge it is?
LL

24 replies
alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #2 of 25

maybe styrofoam? make sure the actual styrofoam isn't touching the cake

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:37am
post #3 of 25

I haven't a clue, but I would really like too know also.

my911blues Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my911blues Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:45am
post #4 of 25

Maybe using a fondant covered rice krispie treat would hold it up. I can't imagine it could be anything real heavy.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 25

I used foam wedges in mine. We were just talking about this in another thread somewhere around here.

But you'll be surprised at how short the wedge is compared to how big you think it should be. And the wedge is not centered on top of the cake--it's off to one side--

And I made a plateau and had a center dowel hot glued down into a bunch of foam in the bottom--so I threaded my cakes onto the dowel.

The cake boards were fashioned with a hole already in the middle--so they just threaded onto there.

And y'know the nubbly shelf paper we use in our cupboards*--I glued some onto the top of each wedge and hot glued a piece on the bottom of each cake board - but but but be careful not to get hot glue anywhere you want to stick a dowel through--it won't penetrate the glue.

*So the shelf liner in my cupboards has slowly disappeared over the years-in odd shaped patterns--hey I could always find it when I was doing a delivery --who knew where that roll was I bought???!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

brownsugarcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownsugarcakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 25

It looks like they might have put in a stick the did not go all the way down into the cake. That stick help prop it up then they covered the stick with a flower. I saw a demo on some website. Sorry is do not remember the site.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:56am
post #7 of 25

If you look under the middle layer, right by the flower, you can see a glimpse of the wedge.

kathy777 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:15pm
post #8 of 25

do if i use styafoam does it need to be covered in fondant in order to be save from the cake?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 25

If you use foam, and it will be touching anything that will be served, you need to cover it with something more food safe. Foam can produce little foam dust particles on your frosting. When I made my hatbox cake, I brushed the wedge with meringue powder mixed with water (this is the glue I generally use for things) and then wrapped it in a thin sheet of gum paste.

You can use fondant or waxed paper or any number of things. But I thought hardened, attached gum paste has a rougher surface and anything on it would be less likely to slide. Plus it is stiff so it would be less like to move, itself.

sandykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandykay Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 25

That is a pretty cake, I'd like to it one day.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:48pm
post #11 of 25

sharon (sugarshack) gives a tutorial on how she did her wedge topsy turvy here:

http://www.sugaredblog.blogspot.com/

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:01pm
post #12 of 25

I just went to a demo yesterday on topsy-turvy cakes! Its done with styrofoam wedges. The lady teaching the class didn't really cover this kind of cake, but she showed a picture of how to dowel it. There was on center dowel that ran through all tiers and a second support dowel that runs through the bottom two. Plus all the dowels that are in each individual tier.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 25

Very lovely cake,i'll look for the courage one day to do it.

shantel575 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shantel575 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:50am
post #14 of 25

ha! that's my cake icon_smile.gif it does have foam wedges between the tiers and I covered the foam with plastic food wrap (more than once) to keep all of it contained. There is one large dowel through the center of the entire structure to keep it sturdy and in place. icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:13am
post #15 of 25

I was going to post Sharon's blog but someone already did. Good luck.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:27am
post #16 of 25

There is a stand that does that.

mamabrat13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabrat13 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 6:42am
post #17 of 25

that is a neat cake! one day I would love to try it. Patticakes-I tried the link that you left-but it isn't working! icon_sad.gif

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:26am
post #18 of 25

Hey Shantel lovely work but how was it like transporting the cake or did you stack on site?

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:51am
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

sharon (sugarshack) gives a tutorial on how she did her wedge topsy turvy here:

http://www.sugaredblog.blogspot.com/

Here's the link to that specific post http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/graduation-wedge-cake.html

shantel575 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

Hey Shantel lovely work but how was it like transporting the cake or did you stack on site?

I assembled it on site! icon_smile.gif

shantel575 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 5:59pm
post #21 of 25

Here's another one (same concept) but it was a larger cake and the bride changed the color scheme a bit.... this was a very unique wedding! lol EVERYTHING was black, white and red... even her white wedding gown was hand painted with red cherries all over it!
LL

kathy777 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 8:15pm
post #22 of 25

ohh YEAHHHHHH Thank you .. I always wondered will the person that did this reply and you did.. icon_smile.gif !!!! Ok so foam wedges covered in saran wrap and dowled through the middle?? and the foam didnt get into the cake below it? Odd i figured it would.. i am going to finish tonight ill post a pic i am doing it all in butter cream though because the fondant is stressing me out lol.. I will pray it comes out as good as yours... Have a great night..

shantel575 Posted 10 Jun 2009 , 9:27pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy777

ohh YEAHHHHHH Thank you .. I always wondered will the person that did this reply and you did.. icon_smile.gif !!!! Ok so foam wedges covered in saran wrap and dowled through the middle?? and the foam didnt get into the cake below it? Odd i figured it would.. i am going to finish tonight ill post a pic i am doing it all in butter cream though because the fondant is stressing me out lol.. I will pray it comes out as good as yours... Have a great night..

you can use the cake pans to assemble it with the wedges and based on that you can put the holes in the foam ahead of time! Then the dowel just goes through the plastic and not into the cake. There's also a cake board under the wedge (cut the same size as the bottom of the foam wedge) and dowels under that cake board/foam.

all my cakes are iced in buttercream! The only fondant I use is for dots, stripes, etc. icon_smile.gif

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #24 of 25

Is there a diagram showing how to dowel this besides the one dowel going through the middle? I am very confused. I am suppose to be making a cake like this and really need to know.
Thank you so much

shantel575 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:30am
post #25 of 25

cakecentral member "Doug" has a diagram I believe.... he sent it to me a while ago when I was figuring it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%