Enhanced Cake Mix I Need Help!

Decorating By meomy Updated 24 May 2009 , 11:43am by Minstrelmiss

meomy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meomy Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:35am
post #1 of 12

I'm making a 3D firetruck cake for tomorrow and needed a really good sculpting recipe but still moist. I found the "Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes" from the recipe page here on CC and just made it. I think I made a big mistake when doubling the recipe. I did just that and doubled everything, pudding mix included, and I think I should have stuck with just one box. What do you experienced guys out there think!? Am I going to flop this project right out of the starting gate?

11 replies
noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #2 of 12

Have you tried WASC?It's very dense but still moist.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:54am
post #3 of 12

You said you think you made a mistake. Was your batter funky or did it bake weird?

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:57am
post #4 of 12

Wow! I hope you find what you need. I am a scratch baker so I can't help personally but I hear the Original WASC recipe is a great one for what you are saying you need. Good luck! Here's a bump...

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:04am
post #5 of 12

I LOVE the durable DH recipe! I switched from scratch!! That's how good it is...if you can't salvage, start over. The recipe is good though. It yield almost 5 cups total. I also pop everything in plastic wrap and then in the freezer over night for an even better cake! WASC is very different. My family thinks it's too muffin like in texture. Good luck icon_smile.gif

meomy Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #6 of 12

Well it's out of the oven and seems to be okay. Rose well, feels moist!? Not funky looking from the outside. Just gotta wonder abou the taste now I guess. You think freezing it will help in assembly or will it dry it out?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:58am
post #7 of 12

Never did this, but have heard that when you wrap and freeze it, it keeps it very moist.

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #8 of 12

I use the super extended cake recipe that is on here and love it!!! It comes out like a poud cake and get rave reviews all the time. I also freeze all my cakes, double wrap in plastic wrap. I have neverhad a problem with them drying out and they are much easier to frost!!! HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Minstrelmiss Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:04am
post #9 of 12

Freezing keeps it mega moist and also makes it more dense. thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #10 of 12

God it's so late--why are you starting so late?

But lots of bakers just straight up double the formulas--no worries.

meomy Posted 24 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #11 of 12

I always bake the cakes the day before they are due. I perfer not to freeze if I don't have to. I only have one or two a week anyway. Don't really "advertise" that I do cakes. Word of mouth keeps me pretty busy. It's a hobby more than a job I guess you could say. Sometimes I even tell people I don't do cakes anymore just to take a break! icon_evil.gif I truely love doing them though, just not everyday!

Minstrelmiss Posted 24 May 2009 , 11:43am
post #12 of 12

I use to not freeze any but now I freeze all of them because it makes a better cake (at least at our house) icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%