Black Fondant---Making It Shinny?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 2:00pm by madras650

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 13

I am using wiltons black fondant to make a few things for a pool cake. In the photo I am using as a referrence the black is shiny but my black is dull. Is there something I can paint on it that will make it shinnier?

TIA

12 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 13

Hi, do you have confectioner's glaze? You can use that to make your black fondant shine. Or there is a recipe for Edible Varnish in the recipe index. You can make it at home. icon_smile.gif

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 13

Bashini - I just looked in the recipe index and it gave me no results. Am I using the correct search term: Edible AND varnish??? Thanks - Pat

mindy1204 Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 13

I do not have glaze. Do you buy that somewhere?

Thanks

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 23 May 2009 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebaben

Bashini - I just looked in the recipe index and it gave me no results. Am I using the correct search term: Edible AND varnish??? Thanks - Pat

Here's the link for it:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7292-Edible-Varnish.html

mindy1204 Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 13

One more question. I am making the fondant figures now but wont use them for a few more weeks, should i varnish them now or wait?

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 24 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #7 of 13

Thanks, Tammy 712 - I wonder why I came up with nothing when I looked....Hmmm/. PAT

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 13

Sorry shebaben, I was late to check my emails, but Tammy712 has helped you there. icon_smile.gif

Mindy1204, I would wait till you use the models on the cake to varnish them. icon_smile.gif

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 9:57am
post #9 of 13

Just wondering, the varnish that was searched above, can this just give a slight shine or does it give a really wet look?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 13

Last night on the Cake Boss show, Buddy used a steamer to make black fondant shiny. It was beautiful, looked like patent leather.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

Last night on the show, Buddy used a steamer to make black fondant shiny. It was beautiful, looked like patent leather.

Yes. This is much more economical than ordering confectionery glaze... (I got a small (and I mean small) pot from GSA and it cost me around 5.00.)however, one has to be very careful about how you are doing it. I use a clothes steamer. For small items you can use a tea kettle. Be careful not to allow any drips of water as that will ruin the effect you want. And, don't do your small pieces on your cake as it is a little wet for bit and black can bleed. Best to do small pieces in advance and separately then add them later. As well, I notice with Satin Ice, that if it is chilled and comes out of the fridge to return back to room temp, it stays quite shiny --never really returning to the dull look of the original product. I'm not sure if that effect would be the same with Wilton, but you might want to try refrigerating your piece then bringing it back out to warm up to room temp.

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 13

I was going to say Buddy did it last night with a steamer but got beat to it..It was really cool! I guess my Shark hand held steamer would work. It made it really glossy.

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 13

If you have an airbrush, you can airbrush vodka onto the cake. That works too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%