I'm Confused, Please Help.

Decorating By kimbers Updated 24 May 2009 , 4:15am by Lisaa1996

kimbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbers Posted 23 May 2009 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 7

So maybe i'm just not getting it. But I've been reading how people stack their cakes, (refering mainly to gratuation book cakes, but other cakes as well) Unless I'm reading it wrong, if your not using the SPS system, it seems that they put each tier of cake on a cake board. I get that. Then to support each tier they put dowls or straws into the the supporting cake and place the next tier on top. So I've done this a few times, How do you get the cake to not stick to the bottom cake and completely take off the fondant on the bottom layer? Every time I go to cut the cake and take the top tier off it pulls off the fondant and it looks so messy. Is there something I'm missing? Please help.

6 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 7

I don't work much with fondant, but I sprinkle powdered sugar on my bc cakes. I let mine crust very well before I even think about stacking.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 23 May 2009 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 7

I dont know if it works for fondant, but for bc cakes I cut a piece of wax paper the same size as the tier. Lay that on top of the bottom cake, then put on your tier. When you cut the cake, just lift off the teir, peel away the wax paper and the bc is still there.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:30am
post #4 of 7

Are you saying that the fondant sticks to the cardboard? I really havn't had a problem with that even if I use buttercream to hold the tiers.

But if you do, I would suggest you use wax paper in between or the powdered sugar.

kimbers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbers Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:09am
post #5 of 7

Thanks for the tips... I will try both and see what works best!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:14am
post #6 of 7

Let the fondant harden a while before you stack them. You know how it quits being sticky and feels kind of firm after a while? That's when I stack.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 24 May 2009 , 4:15am
post #7 of 7

I was having that same problem with both BC and Fondant. Powdered sugar is KEY!!!! Make sure if it's BC, you let it totally crust and then sprinkle with PS before adding the next tier. With fondant, just sprinkle a little PS before yo uadd the next tier. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%