Candy Subway Tiles On Food Network Challenge

Sugar Work By giraffe11 Updated 23 May 2009 , 9:30pm by giraffe11

giraffe11 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 7

I just watched "Blind Date Cakes" on food network challenge and the winner used square silicone ice cube trays to make sugar tiles that she covered her cake with. I happen to have those same silicone trays (I actually use them for ice cubes, go figure!) and I want to make some tiles. My only question is with the color. The color of her tiles was not the same throughout. It was a vivid blue, but the color was not evenly distributed in the tiles......kind of swirly, which gave it a cool dimensional effect. Does anyone know how to do this? Is it only a matter of not mixing the color in thoroughly?
Thanks for any help or ideas!

6 replies
Alice1230 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 7

I would guess you don't mix it all the way. also there was a thread about this earlier in the week. there might be something posted there. They also said she used isomalt...not sugar. hope this helps

giraffe11 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks. What was the earlier thread about? Making tiles? Or the FN challenge episode. I can't find it.

giraffe11 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 7

Nevermind. I found the other thread......had to leave the site and search through google to find it.....popped right up!
Thanks again.

Alice1230 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 7

did it say anything about the color?

giraffe11 Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 7

not really. I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%