Candy Subway Tiles On Food Network Challenge

Sugar Work By giraffe11 Updated 23 May 2009 , 9:30pm by giraffe11

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 7

I just watched "Blind Date Cakes" on food network challenge and the winner used square silicone ice cube trays to make sugar tiles that she covered her cake with. I happen to have those same silicone trays (I actually use them for ice cubes, go figure!) and I want to make some tiles. My only question is with the color. The color of her tiles was not the same throughout. It was a vivid blue, but the color was not evenly distributed in the tiles......kind of swirly, which gave it a cool dimensional effect. Does anyone know how to do this? Is it only a matter of not mixing the color in thoroughly?
Thanks for any help or ideas!

6 replies
Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 7

I would guess you don't mix it all the way. also there was a thread about this earlier in the week. there might be something posted there. They also said she used isomalt...not sugar. hope this helps

giraffe11 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks. What was the earlier thread about? Making tiles? Or the FN challenge episode. I can't find it.

giraffe11 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 7

Nevermind. I found the other thread......had to leave the site and search through google to find it.....popped right up!
Thanks again.

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 23 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 7

did it say anything about the color?

giraffe11 Posted 23 May 2009 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 7

not really. I guess I'll just have to experiment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%