In Your Personal Opinion, Did I Charge Enough For This Cake?

Decorating By madras650 Updated 24 May 2009 , 1:05pm by -K8memphis

madras650 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madras650 Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 11

I know it depends on your location and demand, but in your personal opinion did I charge enough for this cake? I charges $125.00. It is a 12" hex shape, 4.5 inches in height.

For some reason my pic will not attach, please click on madras650 photos below to view cake. It is the poker table cake.

Thank you for your time!

10 replies
poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 11

WOW what a great cake. $125 they got a deal.

With all that detailing I would have charged $150-$165 but then again it depends on your area.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 11

what a cute cake. Looks like a lot of work but hard to say about price, depends on where you live, but I agree with poshcakedesigns, they got a great deal

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 11

Location, location, location... around my neck of the woods, it would be no more than $100.00 and probably closer to 75.00... people just don't appreciate what goes into them.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 11

Everything depends on your area. Here I can't charge more than $2.50 a serving, plus figures. Your cake has lots of detail work icon_biggrin.gif , you probably could have charged more.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 May 2009 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 11

Great stuff there. Really full and happy well done cake.

I woulda charged by the Wilton wedding serving for the 12 inch hex 50 servings. Those are edible images? So that's a fondant covered non-tier cake. $4 a serving is $200

I'd toss in the decor--I mean you gotta decorate it with something so that's not totally over the top stuff. If I had to buy the images, I'd pass that charge onto my customer--but if I had the printer I'd absorb it into the $200.

I think $125 is on the low side--but it is respectable.

Cake pricing thoughts for you.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 May 2009 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 11

I think its a fair price for what you did. Too bad most people don't get that its not just flour sugar and eggs.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:44am
post #8 of 11

Your cake is gorgeous!

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:22pm
post #9 of 11

[quote="peg818"]I think its a fair price for what you did. Too bad most people don't get that its not just flour sugar and eggs.[/quote]

Totally agree with you!!! people havent a clue that you need to buy a board, box, colourings, gum tragacanth, all the liquid ingredients for fondant, etc - they think you basically make pure profit and never understand the work that goes into it - cake muggles - grrrrrrrrrrr

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 24 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 11

I could never get $125 for that cake in my area! Congrats to you! I am in the Tampa area and people don't want to spend money on cakes. They don't understand what goes into making a cake a piece of edible art!!
I had one customer tell me that the $70 price quote I gave her for a 2 tiered fondant/EI cake to feed 50 was too expensive, to knock it down to serve 24 kids and the parents can eat off the kids plate if they want cake!!!

I almost passed out!

Everyone always comments on my cakes. They tell me not only do they look beautiful but they taste amazing at that! but they complained about the price before hand!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2009 , 1:05pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshoemake

I could never get $125 for that cake in my area! Congrats to you! I am in the Tampa area and people don't want to spend money on cakes. They don't understand what goes into making a cake a piece of edible art!!
I had one customer tell me that the $70 price quote I gave her for a 2 tiered fondant/EI cake to feed 50 was too expensive, to knock it down to serve 24 kids and the parents can eat off the kids plate if they want cake!!!

I almost passed out!

Everyone always comments on my cakes. They tell me not only do they look beautiful but they taste amazing at that! but they complained about the price before hand!

I mean Wiki says Tampa is the 54th largest city in America. So meeting with resistance to your pricing doesn't mean it can't happen where you're at. It just means you gotta find the right customers --they are there.

I mean the chickie you describe sounds like the grocery store would be too pricey for her.

"Next!" (shades of IndyIndy)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%